Is Physical Contact Really Possible or Just an Illusion of Forces?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of objects being comprised of atoms and empty space, and how their interactions are controlled by binding and repulsive forces. The ability to "walk through walls" is dependent on altering atomic forces rather than the physical element. The gravitational potential of an object is based on its cumulative quantum binding forces. The conversation also references The Elegant Universe and considers biblical text and the definition of physical contact.
madhatter106
Ok, I was thinking about this the day. Let me know how far off I am on this.

As we go smaller and smaller on physical scales we find that 'solid' objects are actually comprised of 'atoms' and 'empty space' <--- loose definition, the relationship of which is in proportion to the density. Like 'zooming' into foam. Now with that I concluded that actual physical 'contact' between any 'structure' is impossible. It's the binding and repulsive forces that control the enmeshment of two objects or the ability to 'pass' through. So when two objects collide the interaction of them is dependent upon the 'change' in those states of the 'forces'.

extrapolating out then, the ability to 'walk thru walls' is dependent upon being able to 'alter' the atomic forces and not the 'physical' element.

And to me this also explain the 'gravitational' potential of an object based upon it's cumulative quantum binding forces. higher density objects would have more interactions and thus proportionally more 'force' than one with low density.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have a feeling that you, too, are familar with The Elegant Universe. I remember thinking about altering atoms to aline with other objects, allowing them to pass through, for the longest time.

I even consitered Biblicle text in my pondering, but that veers me from the beaten path.

I also consirered what "phisical contact" was, but I find your gravitational forse theory facinating.

Related to Is Physical Contact Really Possible or Just an Illusion of Forces?

1. What is touch?

Touch refers to the sensation that is experienced when an object comes into contact with the skin. It is the result of pressure receptors in the skin sending signals to the brain, which then interprets the sensation as touch.

2. How does touch affect surface interaction?

Touch plays a crucial role in surface interaction as it allows us to perceive and interact with objects in our environment. The type of touch, such as light or heavy, can also affect how we interact with different surfaces.

3. What factors influence surface interaction through touch?

There are several factors that can influence surface interaction through touch, including the texture, temperature, and moisture of the surface, as well as the sensitivity of the skin and the amount of pressure applied.

4. How is touch involved in haptic technology?

Touch is a key component of haptic technology, which allows users to interact with virtual objects through touch sensations. This technology uses sensors and actuators to simulate the feeling of touch, enhancing the user's experience and making it feel more realistic.

5. Can touch perception be improved?

Yes, touch perception can be improved through training and practice. Studies have shown that individuals who regularly engage in activities that involve tactile perception, such as playing a musical instrument, have a higher sensitivity to touch and can better distinguish between different textures and surfaces.