Is Phi One-to-One and What is Its Image for a Given Rectangle?

• Thread starter snoggerT
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Image Phi
In summary, the domain of phi is the set of all real numbers. It is one-to-one on the interval [-1,1], but not on any other interval. If you want to find the image of a point under phi, you first need to determine whether phi is one-to-one on the given interval and then find the image in the xy plane.
snoggerT
Let [phi](u,v)=(u^2,v). Is phi one-to-one? If not, determine a domain on which phi is one-to-one. Find the image under phi of:

- The rectangle R=[-1,1]X[-1,1]

The Attempt at a Solution

- I'm not sure at all how to determine whether phi is one-to-one or not, so if somebody can explain that, that would be of great help.

I thought I knew how to find the image under phi (because I got the right answers the way I did it on the previous problem), but I'm not getting the right answers on this problem. Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
That's a pretty weak attempt. Can't you think of two (u,v) points that map to the same point under (u,v)->(u^2,v)??

Dick said:
That's a pretty weak attempt. Can't you think of two (u,v) points that map to the same point under (u,v)->(u^2,v)??

- I guess I just don't get it or something. The book just doesn't explain mapping in a way I really understand at all.

Ok. What are the values of phi(-1,0) and phi(1,0)? What does that say about the possibility of phi being one-to-one.

Dick said:
Ok. What are the values of phi(-1,0) and phi(1,0)? What does that say about the possibility of phi being one-to-one.

- those values would give you (1,0) and (1,0), and I don't think that would be one-to-one because you can only have each value once. So it would only be one-to-one when u>=0 or u<=0.

If that is the right way of looking at the one-to-one part. What exactly does the mapping part of the question mean?

Yes, that's the right way of looking at the 1-1 part. If by 'mapping' part you mean the image part, the question is to describe the region that [-1,1]x[-1,1] maps to. Hint: u->u^2 maps [-1,1] to [0,1], doesn't it?

Dick said:
Yes, that's the right way of looking at the 1-1 part. If by 'mapping' part you mean the image part, the question is to describe the region that [-1,1]x[-1,1] maps to. Hint: u->u^2 maps [-1,1] to [0,1], doesn't it?

- I'm sure this is going to sound like a dumb question, but how do you get the zero in the [0,1]. I knew that from looking at the answer in the back of the book, but I'm not completely sure on how you get to that. So I guess I'm just not completely sure on the process involved here. The first region is in the uv plane, right? So is the problem asking to find the image in the xy plane?

I got the 0 because u->u^2 for u in [-1,1] has a max at 1 and a min at 0 and it's continuous. Draw the graph. So the range is [0,1]. I won't say it's a dumb question, but it's hard to figure out what you aren't getting. Plug a lot of numbers into (u,v)->(u^2,v) and draw arrows connecting them from the uv plane to the xy plane, if that's what you want to call the image. Keep doing that until you get some grasp of what's happening. Then step back and think about what's happening.

Dick said:
I got the 0 because u->u^2 for u in [-1,1] has a max at 1 and a min at 0 and it's continuous. Draw the graph. So the range is [0,1]. I won't say it's a dumb question, but it's hard to figure out what you aren't getting. Plug a lot of numbers into (u,v)->(u^2,v) and draw arrows connecting them from the uv plane to the xy plane, if that's what you want to call the image. Keep doing that until you get some grasp of what's happening. Then step back and think about what's happening.

- I'll try what you said and see if I can get a better grasp on it. I think I'm pretty close to understanding it though.

Related to Is Phi One-to-One and What is Its Image for a Given Rectangle?

1. What is "Finding image under phi"?

"Finding image under phi" is a mathematical concept that involves applying a function (represented by the symbol phi) to a set of input values and determining the resulting output values, also known as the image. This process is commonly used in fields such as computer science, physics, and economics.

2. How do you find the image under phi?

To find the image under phi, you first need to have a function or equation represented by the symbol phi. Then, you input a set of values into the function and compute the corresponding output values. The resulting set of output values is known as the image under phi.

3. What is the difference between image under phi and domain of phi?

The image under phi is the set of output values that are produced when a set of input values are applied to the function phi. On the other hand, the domain of phi is the set of all possible input values that can be used with the function phi. In simpler terms, the domain is the input and the image is the output.

4. Why is finding image under phi important?

Finding the image under phi is important because it allows us to understand the relationship between the input and output values of a function. It can help us analyze and predict outcomes, make decisions, and solve problems in various fields of study.

5. What are some real-life applications of finding image under phi?

There are many real-life applications of finding image under phi, such as in data analysis, image processing, signal processing, and optimization problems. For example, in data analysis, we can use the concept of finding the image under phi to determine the correlation between two sets of data and make predictions based on that relationship.