Is P -> ~(Q ^ ~P) a Tautology or Contradiction?

In summary, the conversation discusses the creation of a truth table for the statement form P -> ~(Q ^ ~P) and determining if it is a tautology or a contradiction. The conversation also touches on the equivalence of P -> ~(Q ^ ~P) and P -> (~Q v P) and the correct method for creating the truth table for P -> (~Q v P). The conversation concludes with a suggestion for additional resources on logic.
joemama69

Homework Statement

Wrie out the truth table for the statement form P -> ~(Q ^ ~P). Is it a tautology or a contradiction?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First off is it true to say that P -> ~(Q ^ ~P) and P -> (~Q v P) are equal.

P | Q | ~P | ~Q | P -> (~Q v P)
T T F F F
T F F T F
F T T F F
F F T T F

I believe it is a contradiction. Is this correct

Physics news on Phys.org
Technicality: ~(Q ^ ~P) is equivalent to (not equal to) (~Q v P), so P ==> ~(Q ^ ~P) and P ==> (~Q v P) are also equivalent.

If I were doing the truth table I would have columns for P and Q (which you do), plus one column for ~Q v P.

P | Q | (~Q v P) | P -> (~Q v P)
T__T_____F_________F
T__F_____T_________T
F__T_____F__________F
F__F_____F__________F

is the second row correct. If P, then not Q or P. It sounds like a contradiction but P is true ~QvP.

how come F->F is false?

and there's something wrong in the (~Q v P) column, in the first row.

FvT is false?

not followings u

hmmm

P--->(~QvP)
T_()___T
T_()___T
F_()___F
F_()___F

fill in the blank ()

;P

for ~QvP, it is only true when it Q is false and P is true.

joemama69 said:
for ~QvP, it is only true when it Q is false and P is true.
No, that's not right. ~QvP is true in all cases other than when P is false and Q is true.

"v" is or. it's only true when either ~Q or P is true

your statement here "for ~QvP, it is only true when it Q is false and P is true."

suppose to be "for ~Q[tex]\wedge[/tex]P, it is only true when it Q is false and P is true."

P | Q | (~Q v P)
T__T___T
T__F___F
F__T___T
F__F___T

ok i got this part. but when u pu P->(~Q v P) you get True only when (~Q v P) is True and when P is True.

P | Q | (~Q v P) | P->(~Q v P)
T__T___T___________T
T__F___F___________F
F__T___T___________F
F__F___T___________F

joemama69 said:
P | Q | (~Q v P)
T__T___T
T__F___F
F__T___T
F__F___T

in second row is wrong

joemama69 said:
ok i got this part. but when u pu P->(~Q v P) you get True only when (~Q v P) is True and when P is True.

and also whenever P is false, it must be true too

because if the premises is already false, either the consequence is false or true, it doesn't matter. The statement must be true

P | Q | (~Q v P) | P->(~Q v P)
T__T___T___________T
T__F___T___________T
F__T___F___________T
F__F___T___________T

yea, that's correct, i hope you understand each of them. and btw, you can also proof it algebraically. using all those law, assiosiative, identity, commut, distributive and so on,

im having a hard time grasping the abstractness of this. do you know of any good sites i can use for added material.

Related to Is P -> ~(Q ^ ~P) a Tautology or Contradiction?

What is a tautology?

A tautology is a statement that is always true, regardless of the truth values of its individual components. In other words, it is a statement that repeats itself or says the same thing twice in different words.

What is a contradiction?

A contradiction is a statement that is always false, regardless of the truth values of its individual components. In other words, it is a statement that contradicts itself or says the opposite of what is true.

How can you identify a tautology?

A tautology can be identified by its logical form. It is often represented as "P or not P" or "P implies P", where P is any statement or proposition. It can also be identified by its repetitive or redundant language.

Why are tautologies and contradictions important in logic?

Tautologies and contradictions are important in logic because they help us to identify errors in reasoning and arguments. They also help us to understand the concepts of truth and falsity, and how they relate to logical statements.

What are some real-life examples of tautologies and contradictions?

A common real-life example of a tautology is the statement "It is what it is". This statement is always true because it is essentially saying the same thing twice. A common real-life example of a contradiction is the statement "This statement is false". This statement cannot be true or false, therefore it is a contradiction.