Is Oxford's Physics and Philosophy Course Ideal for Aspiring Quantum Physicists?

In summary, the conversation revolves around discussing different courses for a career in quantum physics research. The options mentioned include a specific course at Cambridge, studying physics at Imperial, and looking into other courses in the UK. The topic of combining philosophy with science is also brought up, with the suggestion of keeping philosophy studies to a minimum for those serious about science. Additional resources and forums are mentioned for further information.
Gabriel3
This is my first post so hello to you all.

Has anybody any experience of the course and if so, would they recommend it as an initial degree before going onto a career in quantum physics based research?

The alternatives would be studying Physics (possibly with Theoretical Physics) at Imperial or the Cambridge Natural Science course.

Are there any other UK courses that I should look into?

Thanks in advance.

Gabriel

Physics news on Phys.org
I was at first a physics and philosophy double major but I dropped both. For some people they can combine philosophy well with science. However, I found that I could not do both well and philosophy was impeding my studies in science. If you are serious about science I would recommend keeping your philosophy studies to a minimum. Philosophy can be helpful for understanding your life and your thoughts but won't help a lot in actually doing science. But hey if you really like philosophy anyway you should just study it.

At Cambridge, you can enroll into the Mathematics with Physics course and then in your second year, shift to straight-up Physics and by the end of the fourth, end up with an MSc (or is it MPhys?) in Theoretical and Experimental Physics. Or, just one of the two.

Go to their website for more information. (and precision in it as well)

You might want to check out Imperial College's dedicated forum at TheStudentRoom.co.uk; people have been talking about their undergrad experiences there, a fair bit. ;)

Related to Is Oxford's Physics and Philosophy Course Ideal for Aspiring Quantum Physicists?

1. What is the Oxford Physics and Philosophy program?

The Oxford Physics and Philosophy program is an undergraduate degree program offered by the University of Oxford that combines the study of physics and philosophy. Students in this program will gain a deep understanding of both disciplines and explore the philosophical implications of physics.

2. What are the requirements for the Oxford Physics and Philosophy program?

To be admitted into the Oxford Physics and Philosophy program, students must have a strong background in physics and mathematics, as well as an interest in philosophy. They must also meet the general admission requirements for the University of Oxford.

3. What career opportunities are available for graduates of the Oxford Physics and Philosophy program?

Graduates of the Oxford Physics and Philosophy program have a wide range of career options, such as pursuing further studies in physics or philosophy, working in research and development, or entering fields such as law, business, or journalism that require critical thinking skills.

4. How is the Oxford Physics and Philosophy program different from a regular physics or philosophy degree?

The Oxford Physics and Philosophy program combines the rigorous scientific training of a physics degree with the analytical and critical thinking skills developed in a philosophy degree. It also offers a unique perspective on the relationship between these two disciplines.

5. What sets the Oxford Physics and Philosophy program apart from similar programs at other universities?

The Oxford Physics and Philosophy program is one of the oldest and most prestigious programs of its kind, with a highly selective admissions process and a strong emphasis on independent research and critical thinking. It also benefits from the resources and academic community of the University of Oxford.