Is One Textbook Enough for Self-Studying Undergraduate Physics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of learning all the required mathematics for undergraduate physics from just one textbook, specifically Boas' Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences. However, it is suggested to also supplement with other books, such as a calculus book, in order to fully understand the material. The advantages and disadvantages of this method are also mentioned.
m.gigantic
Can Someone learn all mathematics required for undergraduate physics from only one textbook (mathematical methods in physics texts ) prior to knowing anything in physics especially if he want to self study ? What are the advantages and disadvantages of this method? If I have superficial knowledge in calculus , Can I only read it in a mathematical methods textbook ( I have Riley , Hobson and Bence book which include a chapter on elementary calculus )? Or should I read a calculus book at the level of Stewart book for example ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
m.gigantic said:
Can Someone learn all mathematics required for undergraduate physics from only one textbook (mathematical methods in physics texts ) prior to knowing anything in physics especially if he want to self study ?

All of undergraduate physics? No. Well... maybe if it was a really big book.

Probably not one book, but you can follow the standard curriculum set in a uni:

First would be a calculus book, like Stewart's.

Second maybe Boas' Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences. I think the second edition you can get super cheap.

Anything you don't understand in Boas you can get clarification in a Diff EQ, Calc, or a Linear Algebra book.

Related to Is One Textbook Enough for Self-Studying Undergraduate Physics?

1. What are the benefits of self-study?

Self-study allows individuals to learn at their own pace and in their own preferred style. It also promotes self-motivation and self-discipline, as well as the development of critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

2. How do I create a successful self-study plan?

To create a successful self-study plan, it is important to set clear goals, break down the material into manageable chunks, create a schedule and stick to it, and regularly review and assess your progress. It is also helpful to have a designated study space and eliminate distractions.

3. What resources are available for self-study?

There are many resources available for self-study, including textbooks, online courses, video tutorials, practice exams, and study groups. It is important to find resources that align with your learning style and goals.

4. How can I stay motivated during self-study?

Staying motivated during self-study can be challenging, but it can be helpful to set small, achievable goals, reward yourself for completing tasks, and remind yourself of the benefits of self-study. It can also be helpful to take breaks and engage in activities that you enjoy.

5. Is self-study as effective as traditional classroom learning?

The effectiveness of self-study depends on the individual and their learning style. Some people may find self-study more effective, while others may prefer traditional classroom learning. It is important to try different methods and find what works best for you.