Is normal derivative a definition?

In summary, the term ##\frac{ \partial f}{\partial n}## does not make sense to me, what is ##\partial n##? The term ##\frac{ \partial f}{\partial n}## does not make sense to me, what is ##\hat n##?
yungman
Is ##\frac{ \partial f}{\partial n} = \nabla f \cdot \hat n ## a definition? No article that I found said it's a definition. The term ##\frac{ \partial f}{\partial n}## does not make sense to me, what is ##\partial n##?

Also is this correct:
[tex]\int_v\nabla\cdot (v\nabla u)dV=\int_s (v\nabla u)\cdot \hat n dS=\int_s v(\nabla u\cdot \hat n) dS=\int_s v\frac {\partial u}{\partial n} dS[/tex]Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
yungman said:
Is ##\frac{ \partial f}{\partial n} = \nabla f \cdot \hat n ## a definition? No article that I found said it's a definition. The term ##\frac{ \partial f}{\partial n}## does not make sense to me, what is ##\partial n##?

Also is this correct:
[tex]\int_v\nabla\cdot (v\nabla u)dV=\int_s (v\nabla u)\cdot \hat n dS=\int_s v(\nabla u\cdot \hat n) dS=\int_s v\frac {\partial u}{\partial n} dS[/tex]

Thanks
Well, what is ##\hat n##? I would interpret that as the normal vector to some curve (in two dimensions) or surface (in three dimensions), but you don't mention a curve or surface. Assuming there is such an object, then I would interpret the notation ##\frac{\partial f}{\partial n}## as the rate of change of f in the direction perpendicular to that curve or surface. That is, of course the same as [tex]\nabla f\cdot \hat n[/tex] but I would say you can reasonably take either as a definition of the other.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, ##\hat n## is the normal of the boundary. Here is an article contains normal derivative.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Directional_derivative

I am almost sure it's a definition, but this is math, it's black and white.

Thanks

[itex]\int_v\nabla\cdot (v\nabla u)dV=\int_s (v\nabla u)\cdot \hat n dS=\int_s v(\nabla u\cdot \hat n) dS=\int_s v\frac {\partial u}{\partial n} dS[/itex]

This makes sense, simply the divergence theorem, I assume v is some other function, but you say you integrate over it in your first expression, I think that is meant to be a capital V, correct?

[itex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial n}=\nabla f \cdot \hat n[/itex]

Take this as you will, the last poster confirmed that it is true and it makes sense to me as well.

saminator910 said:
[itex]\int_v\nabla\cdot (v\nabla u)dV=\int_s (v\nabla u)\cdot \hat n dS=\int_s v(\nabla u\cdot \hat n) dS=\int_s v\frac {\partial u}{\partial n} dS[/itex]

This makes sense, simply the divergence theorem, I assume v is some other function, but you say you integrate over it in your first expression, I think that is meant to be a capital V, correct?

[itex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial n}=\nabla f \cdot \hat n[/itex]

Take this as you will, the last poster confirmed that it is true and it makes sense to me as well.

My bad, I should have use a different variable name. ##v## is a function of the same coordinates as the ##\nabla## and ##dV## is volume integral.

It is a definition of what the short-hand notation df/dn is meant to signify, i.e, an identity, not some equation or perceived relationship between (otherwhere defined) LHS and RHS.

arildno said:
It is a definition of what the short-hand notation df/dn is meant to signify, i.e, an identity, not some equation or perceived relationship between (otherwhere defined) LHS and RHS.

Thanks.

Related to Is normal derivative a definition?

1. What is a normal derivative?

A normal derivative is a mathematical concept used to describe the rate of change of a function in the direction perpendicular to a given boundary. It is often used in the field of calculus and differential equations to solve problems involving surfaces or boundaries.

2. How is a normal derivative different from a regular derivative?

A normal derivative is different from a regular derivative in that it measures the change in a function perpendicular to a boundary, while a regular derivative measures the change in a function in a specific direction. In other words, a normal derivative is a component of a regular derivative.

3. Is normal derivative a definition or a theorem?

The concept of a normal derivative can be both a definition and a theorem. As a definition, it is used to describe the rate of change of a function at a boundary. As a theorem, it is used to solve problems and prove theorems in the field of mathematics.

4. How is a normal derivative used in real-world applications?

Normal derivatives have various applications in real-world problems, such as determining the direction of heat flow in thermal engineering, calculating the stress and strain on a surface in engineering mechanics, and describing the rate of chemical reactions in chemistry.

5. Are there any limitations or assumptions when using normal derivatives?

When using normal derivatives, it is important to note that they are based on certain assumptions and limitations. For example, they may not be applicable in cases where the boundary is not smooth or when the function is discontinuous at the boundary. Additionally, they may not provide accurate results in complex systems with multiple boundaries or when the function is highly nonlinear.