Is My Understanding of Domain Notation Correct?

In summary, the first and second set of domains are not the same. The first one is the set of all real numbers except 0, while the second one is the set of all real numbers except 0 and 5. The notation "U" means union, which is used to connect functions. The set D is the set of all real numbers except for 0 and 5, written as {XER, x ≠ 0, x≠ 5}. The set you are describing in the second part is the set of all real numbers (xER) such that x is not between 0 and 5, written as (-∞,0) U (5,+∞). When a function is written
aleferesco
I just have a question which I'm confused about,

this is the same right?

Domain is (-∞,0) U (0,+∞)

and

Domain D: {XER, x ≠ 0}

and this is the same right?

Domain is (-∞,0) U (5,+∞)

and

Domain D: {XER, x ≠ 0, x≠ 5}

Attempt :

I know that U is used to connect functions,

I'm asking this here since I couldn't find notation online

Physics news on Phys.org
U means union. You are right on the first one. Not so good for the second one. D is the set of xER, where x is not an element of [0,5], the closed interval between 0 and 5.

(-∞,0) u [0,5] u (5,+∞) ?

do I always have to include for example the [0,5] when function is XER?

thanks

That's all of the reals. The set you are describing in the second part is the set of all real x (xER) SUCH THAT x<0 OR x>5. It has two pieces. The xER doesn't say you are including all reals, it just says you are considering ONLY reals.

Related to Is My Understanding of Domain Notation Correct?

1. What is domain notation?

Domain notation is a way of representing the set of all possible input values for a function or equation. It is typically written as "x∈D", where x is the input variable and D is the domain.

2. Why is domain notation important?

Domain notation is important because it helps us determine the range of values that can be used as inputs for a function or equation. This allows us to identify any restrictions or limitations on the values that can be used.

3. How is domain notation different from range notation?

Domain notation represents the set of input values for a function, while range notation represents the set of output values. In other words, domain notation tells us what values can be used as input, while range notation tells us what values will be produced as output.

4. What does the symbol "∈" mean in domain notation?

The symbol "∈" means "belongs to" or "is an element of". In domain notation, it is used to show that a particular value is part of the domain set.

5. How do I determine the domain of a function using domain notation?

To determine the domain of a function using domain notation, you need to consider any restrictions or limitations on the input values. For example, if a function has a square root, the domain cannot include negative numbers. Additionally, if the function has a denominator, the domain cannot include values that would make the denominator equal to zero.