Is my solution for forming 10-letter words with restrictions correct?

• MHB
  • Thread starter evinda
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about finding the number of words with 10 letters formed with the letters A, B, and C, while not allowing the word to begin or end with two of the same letters. The solution provided is $3^{10}-2 \cdot 3^9+3^8$, with an explanation of how this was calculated. The asker confirms that the solution is correct and expresses gratitude.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)

I am given the following exercise:

How many words with $10$ lettrers can be formed with the letters $A,B,C$, when it is not allowed that the word begins or ends with two same letters.

I thought that the number of words is $$3^{10}-2 \cdot 3^9+3^8$$

because:

Number of words without restrictions: $3^{10}$

Number of words when the two first letters are the same: $3^{9}$

Number of words when the two last letters are the same: $3^{9}$

Number of words when the first two and the last two are the same: $3^{8}$Could you tell if it's right?Or am I wrong? :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
I think your solution is correct.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
I think your solution is correct.

Nice! Thank you very much! (Clapping) (Clapping)

Related to Is my solution for forming 10-letter words with restrictions correct?

1. What does "Yes, your answer is correct." mean?

"Yes, your answer is correct." is a statement that indicates that the answer provided is accurate and in line with what is expected or correct according to the question or problem at hand.

2. How can I be sure that my answer is correct?

You can be sure that your answer is correct by double-checking your work and making sure that all steps and calculations are accurate. You can also ask for a second opinion from a peer or an expert in the field.

3. Can "Yes, your answer is correct." be used in a scientific context?

Yes, "Yes, your answer is correct." can be used in a scientific context to confirm the accuracy of an answer or solution to a scientific question or problem.

4. Is "Yes, your answer is correct." always the right response?

"Yes, your answer is correct." is not always the right response, as there may be multiple correct answers or different ways to approach a problem in science. It is important to critically evaluate and analyze the answer to ensure its accuracy.

5. What should I do if my answer is not correct?

If your answer is not correct, you should review your work and try to identify where you may have made a mistake. You can also seek assistance from a teacher, tutor, or colleague to help you understand where you went wrong and how to improve in the future.