Number of ways to arrange letters

• MHB
  • Thread starter evinda
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing the number of ways to arrange $5$ letters $A$, $3$ letters $B$, and $4$ letters $C$, which turns out to be $\frac{12!}{5! \cdot 3! \cdot 4!}$. The conversation also mentions another possible solution, $\frac{12!}{3! \cdot 4! \cdot 5!}$, but it is not clear why the instructor or textbook is asking for multiple solutions without providing methods or proofs.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hey again! :)

I am given this exercise:
With how many ways can we arrange $5$ letters $A$, $3$ letters $B$ and $4$ letters $C$?

I thought that it is :

$$\frac{(5+3+4)!}{5! \cdot 3! \cdot 4!}=\frac{12!}{5! \cdot 3! \cdot 4!}$$

Could you tell me if it is right? (Blush)

Physics news on Phys.org
evinda said:
Hey again! :)

I am given this exercise:
With how many ways can we arrange $5$ letters $A$, $3$ letters $B$ and $4$ letters $C$?

I thought that it is :

$$\frac{(5+3+4)!}{5! \cdot 3! \cdot 4!}=\frac{12!}{5! \cdot 3! \cdot 4!}$$

Could you tell me if it is right? (Blush)

Yep.
It is right! (Mmm)

I like Serena said:
Yep.
It is right! (Mmm)

Nice,thank you! :)

I would have said that the answer is:
\[(\begin{matrix}12\\5\end{matrix})(\begin{matrix}7\\4\end{matrix})=(\begin{matrix}12\\4\end{matrix})(\begin{matrix}8\\5\end{matrix})=
(\begin{matrix}12\\3\end{matrix})(\begin{matrix}9\\4\end{matrix}) etc.=\frac{12!}{3!\cdot4!\cdot5!}\]

I don't understand the purpose of Evinda's instructor or textbook asking for so many answers to be computed only without also supplying methods or proofs.

Hello! Your calculation is correct. This is known as a permutation problem, where the order of the letters matters. In this case, we have a total of 12 letters, with 5 A's, 3 B's, and 4 C's. To find the number of ways to arrange them, we use the formula nPr = n! / (n-r)!, where n is the total number of objects and r is the number of objects we are choosing. So in this case, we have 12 letters and we are choosing all 12 of them, giving us 12P12 = 12! / (12-12)! = 12! / 0! = 12!. However, since we have repeating letters, we need to divide by the factorial of the number of repeating letters to avoid counting the same arrangement multiple times. So we divide by 5! for the A's, 3! for the B's, and 4! for the C's, giving us a total of 12! / (5! * 3! * 4!) = 12! / (5! * 3! * 4!) = 12! / 5! * 3! * 4! = 12! / (5! * 3! * 4!). Therefore, your calculation is correct. Great job!

Related to Number of ways to arrange letters

1. How do you calculate the number of ways to arrange a set of letters?

The number of ways to arrange a set of letters can be calculated using the formula n!/(n-r)!, where n is the total number of letters and r is the number of letters to be arranged.

2. What does the exclamation mark (!) stand for in the formula for calculating the number of ways to arrange letters?

The exclamation mark in the formula represents the factorial function, which is the product of all positive integers less than or equal to the given number. For example, 5! = 5 x 4 x 3 x 2 x 1 = 120.

3. Can the number of ways to arrange letters be calculated for a set of repeating letters?

Yes, the formula for calculating the number of ways to arrange letters can also be used for sets with repeating letters. For example, the number of ways to arrange the letters in the word "MISSISSIPPI" is 11!/(4! x 4! x 2!) = 34650.

4. What is the difference between permutations and combinations when it comes to arranging letters?

Permutations refer to the number of ways to arrange a set of items where the order matters, while combinations refer to the number of ways to select a subset of items from a larger set, where the order does not matter. In the context of arranging letters, permutations would be used to calculate the number of ways to arrange a specific set of letters, while combinations would be used to calculate the number of ways to select a certain number of letters from a larger set.

5. Are there any practical applications of calculating the number of ways to arrange letters?

Yes, there are many practical applications of this concept, such as in cryptography, where the number of ways to arrange letters is used to create secure encryption methods. It is also used in probability and statistics to calculate the likelihood of certain outcomes in experiments or events.