Is my reasoning valid for solving this weight tension problem?

In summary, the conversation discusses using virtual work to solve a problem involving a weight hanging from two wires. The formula for work is irrelevant, as the focus is on the principle and method of virtual work. The conversation details the attempt at solving the problem using this method, including considerations of direction and energy conservation. Further clarification and guidance is requested for continuing the solution.
AXRY

Homework Statement

See attached picture.

Homework Equations

Change in work = force x distance moved

The Attempt at a Solution

So I took the ratio AC/AB = 1/ $\sqrt{2} $ which I set equal to T/50 where T is the tension we want to find. Solving this gave me T=50/ $\sqrt{2} $.
I just wanted to know whether this reasoning is valid and I would also like alternative solutions.

Attachments

• 20160806_215917.png
    20160806_215917.png
    36.5 KB · Views: 405
Physics news on Phys.org
The formula for work is irrelevant. We know sum of forces acting on the point where the wires are joined = zero.

David Lewis said:
The formula for work is irrelevant. We know sum of forces acting on the point where the wires are joined = zero.
The instructions say to use Virtual Work.
AXRY said:
I just wanted to know whether this reasoning is valid
You do not state what your reasoning was, so it is impossible to answer that. Yes, it gives the right answer, but does not seem to comply with the instructions.

Do you have any hints on how to solve this using virtual work?

Well I think it's when you move a body by a virtual displacement, which will enable you to compute all the possible sums of the work done by each component in the mechanical system. I tried to do this in the problem above:

We can take the weight W and imagine it moving from it's current position to the top of the line (i.e. until it lies on the same plane as the line). By moving it we do work against gravity, which is equal to the Gp = vertical distance moved x 50 x 9.81 = 5√2/2 x 50 x 9.81.

However I don't see how I can relate the tension of the wires to this (e.g. what is the 'distance' they move?).

AXRY said:
Well I think it's when you move a body by a virtual displacement, which will enable you to compute all the possible sums of the work done by each component in the mechanical system. I tried to do this in the problem above:

We can take the weight W and imagine it moving from it's current position to the top of the line (i.e. until it lies on the same plane as the line). By moving it we do work against gravity, which is equal to the Gp = vertical distance moved x 50 x 9.81 = 5√2/2 x 50 x 9.81.

However I don't see how I can relate the tension of the wires to this (e.g. what is the 'distance' they move?).
You should use arbitrarily small virtual displacements, calculus-style.
The work done by a tension is the component of the displacement in the direction of the tension. This will equal the shortening in the string.

Does the direction of the virtual displacement matter? Or can I just say that the weight would move an arbitrary small value downwards? This would imply a lengthening in the string right?

AXRY said:
Does the direction of the virtual displacement matter? Or can I just say that the weight would move an arbitrary small value downwards? This would imply a lengthening in the string right?
That's right, the direction does not matter. But in general it is taken as a vector, and the virtual work done should tend to zero faster than the displacement no matter what the direction of the vector. So typically consider two directions of movement.

Edit: if there is some symmetry you may be able to get away with only considering one direction. Not able to view the image right now.

Last edited:
So here is my attempt:

If we lift the weight W by a small vertical distance Δh, W will gain P.E. of Δh x mg in the process. Since energy is conserved, the work done by the wire (i.e. the shortening of the wire by a small length, which we call Δl must be equal to the gain in P.E. by the weight.)

From this we obtain the equation:

2Δl = 2Δh x mg

I need help on how to continue...( I apologise for the continued questions, but I am new to this and I just started reading the F. lectures, so you must understand me struggling with these concepts...)

Thank you.

AXRY said:
So here is my attempt:

If we lift the weight W by a small vertical distance Δh, W will gain P.E. of Δh x mg in the process. Since energy is conserved, the work done by the wire (i.e. the shortening of the wire by a small length, which we call Δl must be equal to the gain in P.E. by the weight.)

From this we obtain the equation:

2Δl = 2Δh x mg

I need help on how to continue...( I apologise for the continued questions, but I am new to this and I just started reading the F. lectures, so you must understand me struggling with these concepts...)

Thank you.
Not sure why you have those factors of 2 in there. If it's because there are two wires, it should not be on the right hand side.
Next you have to figure out what the change in length of the wires is as the weight moves up Δh. It helps to think about components of movement. What is the component of that movement in the direction of the wire?

Related to Is my reasoning valid for solving this weight tension problem?

1. What is the weight tension problem?

The weight tension problem is a physics concept that refers to the forces acting on an object that is suspended by one or more ropes or cables. It involves calculating the tension or pulling force in the ropes to maintain the object's equilibrium.

2. How do you calculate tension in a weight tension problem?

To calculate tension in a weight tension problem, you need to use Newton's laws of motion and the principles of equilibrium. First, draw a free-body diagram of the object, and then use the equations F=ma and ΣF=0 to calculate the tension in the ropes.

3. What factors affect tension in a weight tension problem?

The factors that affect tension in a weight tension problem include the weight of the object, the angle of the ropes, and the strength and stiffness of the ropes. Other factors such as friction and air resistance may also have a small effect on tension.

4. How does tension change if the angle of the ropes is increased?

If the angle of the ropes is increased, the tension in the ropes will also increase. This is because a greater angle means that the vertical component of the tension force will also increase, while the horizontal component remains the same. As a result, the total tension force will be greater.

5. What are some real-life examples of weight tension problems?

Some common real-life examples of weight tension problems include a ceiling fan hanging from a single point, a crane lifting a heavy load, and a person suspended from a rope during rock climbing. These situations all involve calculating the tension in the ropes or cables to maintain equilibrium.