Is my Projectile Motion Program Correct?

In summary, the conversation is about a physics project involving a projectile motion program. The group is trying to take into account the effects of air resistance, with a drag coefficient of 0.4, a mass of 0.14273kg (baseball), an initial velocity of 20, and an angle of 45 degrees. The question is to calculate the acceleration of the x and y components. The attempt at a solution involved using the equations ax=Fairx/mass and ay=(fg+fairy)/m, but the calculated values were very large. The user was unsure if -550m/s^2 was a normal acceleration due to air resistance and asked for clarification on how to calculate Fair using the drag coefficient.
hallowon

Homework Statement

I'm trying to program a projectile motion program for my physics project. We are suppose to take account effects on air resistnace
If our drag coefficient is 0.4 our mass is 0.14273kg(baseball) initial velocity is 20, and angle is 45. What would be the acceleration of x component and y component

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

When i did ax=Fairx/mass i have a number in the 500's my ay= (fg+fairy)/m is really huge too:/

WHne i say huge i mean hundreds huge. All I'm asking is is -550m/s^2 a normal acceleration due to air resistance >.>

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It definitely isn't normal. How did you calculate Fair? It should be Cd*rho*A*v^2.

for just Fair it is kv^2

where k is initial velocity.(20) and k is 0.4(our given drag)

Can you look up how drag coefficient is defined, either in your textbook or lecture notes? I think you are not using it correctly here.

Related to Is my Projectile Motion Program Correct?

1. What is air resistance?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is the force that opposes the motion of an object through the air. It is caused by the collision of air molecules with the surface of the object and increases as the speed of the object increases.

2. How does air resistance affect the motion of an object?

Air resistance can slow down the motion of an object, making it harder to move through the air. This is because the force of air resistance acts in the opposite direction of the object's motion, creating a resistance force that must be overcome.

3. What factors affect air resistance?

The amount of air resistance an object experiences depends on several factors, including the size, shape, and speed of the object, as well as the density and viscosity of the air. Objects with larger surface areas, such as parachutes, experience more air resistance than objects with smaller surface areas, like a bullet.

4. How can air resistance be reduced?

Air resistance can be reduced by minimizing the surface area of the object, making it more aerodynamic. This can be achieved by streamlining the shape of the object or using materials that are less dense and have lower viscosity, such as feathers or foam.

5. How is air resistance measured?

Air resistance is typically measured using a device called a wind tunnel, which allows scientists to control the speed and direction of air flow around an object. By measuring the force required to move the object through the air at different speeds, the amount of air resistance can be determined.