Is My Interview Outfit Appropriate?

• Thread starter ƒ(x)
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Interview
In summary: Yes, I think that would be a good idea. Wearing something that shows you are taking the interview seriously but can still be casual if need be. Yes, I think that would be a good idea. Wearing something that shows you are taking the interview seriously but can still be casual if need be.OK, thank you for the input. I'll go with the navy blue blazer.OK, thank you for the input. I'll go with the navy blue blazer.In summary, In response to a question about what color blue goes well with black, the person wearing the shirt said that the blue is blue but there are colors of blue that go well with black while other colors do not. They also said
ƒ(x)
Not sure if I'm on the right site for fashion advice, but here it goes:

I submitted an application for an academic program, and the second part (woot! i made it past round 1) involves an interview.

Now, right now I'm planning on black dress shoes, black dress pants, black leather belt , blue button up with the top button undone, and white undershirt. I have short brown hair.

I really have no idea though.

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't listen to any replies that don't come from women.

zoobyshoe said:
Don't listen to any replies that don't come from women.

Haha wasn't planning to. I know that there are some female users on here, hence the post.

I kind of thought, Hmm, when you described black with blue. I'm not saying it never works, but there are hues of blue that are OK with black, and some that aren't.

So...can you describe the blue?

(Btw, I try not to be sexist in my language or thinking, but describing colors is one area that there is a large and consistent difference between men and women!)

Hi f(x), seems that you're making a slow comeback to PF. That's good. :approve: Now maybe send a pm to Cyrus or mail him. He is definitely the expert here.

Andre said:
Hi f(x), seems that you're making a slow comeback to PF. That's good. :approve: Now maybe send a pm to Cyrus or mail him. He is definitely the expert here.

Thanks! I've been getting used to college and being on a demanding sports team (2 firsts).

lisab said:
I kind of thought, Hmm, when you described black with blue. I'm not saying it never works, but there are hues of blue that are OK with black, and some that aren't.

So...can you describe the blue?

(Btw, I try not to be sexist in my language or thinking, but describing colors is one area that there is a large and consistent difference between men and women!)

It's blue...

Yes...that would be me wearing the aforementioned shirt.

Last edited:
ƒ(x) said:
it's blue...

lisab said:
...but describing colors is one area that there is a large and consistent difference between men and women!)
Quode Erat Demonstratum

Ah, nice sky blue with a very, very slight greenish hue. Black won't hurt but it may draw attention unintentionally. Nice and correct dark blue jeans could go well with that and certainly brownish, if that happens to be in your closet.

I wouldn't worry too much. It'll be fine.

Still, try to get a hold of Cyrus.

ƒ(x) said:
It's blue...

Yes...that would be me wearing the aforementioned shirt.

OK, I think that blue is fine with black.

Navy blue - not so much.

Suit, dress shirt, tie, and shoes. Even if you will never wear such attire on the job. It shows respect.

Jimmy Snyder said:
Suit, dress shirt, tie, and shoes. Even if you will never wear such attire on the job. It shows respect.
Agree, at least throw a nice blazer over that shirt if you don't own a suit. Never wear jeans to a job interview unless it's a blue collar job, or they specifically tell you to wear jeans.

Jimmy Snyder said:

This isn't quite as formal, which is the part that was puzzling me.

ƒ(x) said:
This isn't quite as formal, which is the part that was puzzling me.
Then go with the blazer. It's casual, yet looks nice. I don't care if you can wear wear shorts and a t-shirt to work after you're hired, you want to show respect. I have been in a position to make hiring deicisions, or at least give input and someone nicely dressed always gets points. Sounds like "business casual" is the look you're aiming for, but wear a blazer, you can always remove it.

http://jobsearch.about.com/od/interviewsnetworking/a/dressforsuccess.htm

Last edited:
Evo said:
Then go with the blazer. It's casual, yet looks nice. I don't care if you can wear wear shorts and a t-shirt to work after you're hired, you want to show respect. I have been in a position to make hiring deicisions, or at least give input and someone nicely dressed always gets points. Sounds like "business casual" is the look you're aiming for, but wear a blazer, you can always remove it.

http://jobsearch.about.com/od/interviewsnetworking/a/dressforsuccess.htm

Good point about being able to remove it. I have a black and a navy blue one at home.

I think it makes a difference where in the country you are interviewing and for what type of job. Even when I interviewed in Mexico I went to the interview in a suit but I realize businesses have gotten more casual. There are probably even a few companies where you could go in a black turtleneck and jeans.

Evo said:
Agree, at least throw a nice blazer over that shirt if you don't own a suit. Never wear jeans to a job interview unless it's a blue collar job, or they specifically tell you to wear jeans.

Except for in Alaska, where the dress code is Carhartts and Parkas; it really helps to talk about that time you had to kill a starving black bear with your bare hands to defend yourself or at least mention a commercial fishing adventure or two. Then you get sent to Antarctica for field work and there's way less competition there, so your continental career is off to a good start.

Pythagorean said:
Except for in Alaska, where the dress code is Carhartts and Parkas; it really helps to talk about that time you had to kill a starving black bear with your bare hands to defend yourself or at least mention a commercial fishing adventure or two. Then you get sent to Antarctica for field work and there's way less competition there, so your continental career is off to a good start.

True that, local culture should be considered.

When I lived in Alaska, I went to a wedding. Several women wore jeans...under their dresses. Never saw that before -- or since.

lisab said:
True that, local culture should be considered.

When I lived in Alaska, I went to a wedding. Several women wore jeans...under their dresses. Never saw that before -- or since.

I once visited a German friend of mine with my family and during conversation she was like "and so I chainsawed some trees down" and me and my babies mama just nodded, waiting for the rest of the story and the German paused as if waiting for a reaction.

Finally she was like "well, that's unheard of in my country! a woman chainsawing!" We were like "oooh, I see." It's interesting because I always imagine Germany as being really progressive nowadays, but maybe that's just scientifically, not socially (unless you're part of the death metal underground, of course... then you probably find women chainsawing goats in sacrifice or something).

Think I'll be wearing navy pants, light blue shirt (see pic), and a navy blue blazer. Haven't decided on if I'll wear a tie or what color it will be.

ƒ(x) said:

I submitted an application for an academic program, and the second part (woot! i made it past round 1) involves an interview.

Now, right now I'm planning on black dress shoes, black dress pants, black leather belt , blue button up with the top button undone, and white undershirt. I have short brown hair.

For an academic program, what you're describing is fine (it would qualify as business casual), unless you mean a grad school interview, in which case, go with the advice to add a blazer or sport jacket to it. That's different than a job interview, which is more formal.

Make sure everything is pressed, and if you have to travel to the interview, bring a spare shirt in case you spill something on yourself on the way there (nothing like pre-interview jitters to make coffee just leap from the cup).

Thanks for all the replies!

Turns out I've outgrown the dress shirt. I should have tried buttoning the top button before the day of the interview. So, I had to ditch the tie.

ƒ(x) said:

Turns out I've outgrown the dress shirt. I should have tried buttoning the top button before the day of the interview. So, I had to ditch the tie.

Ha! Hope it went well. In the future, another get-up that works nicely that isn't quite as fancy as a suit but still looks a little more formal is to wear some dress shoes and pants with a collared shirt and a nice sweater. Tie is optional. Throw a blazer over the whole thing and you'll look extra sharp.

ƒ(x) said:

Wear a suit and tie.

ƒ(x) said:

I never button the top button when wearing a tie. I prefer to keep it loose around my neck. It is sufficient to slide the knot close to the collar - but not too close.

Related to Is My Interview Outfit Appropriate?

What should I wear to an interview?

It is important to dress professionally for an interview. This typically means a suit or dress pants and a button-down shirt for men, and a suit, pantsuit, or conservative dress for women. Avoid wearing anything too casual, such as jeans or t-shirts, and make sure your clothing is clean and wrinkle-free.

Can I wear colors other than black or navy?

While black and navy are classic interview colors, you can also wear other neutral colors such as gray, beige, or brown. Depending on the company and industry, you may also be able to incorporate subtle pops of color, but it's best to stick with more muted tones.

Are there any specific dress codes I should follow?

It's always a good idea to research the company and their dress code before an interview. Some industries, such as finance or law, may have more strict dress codes, while others, like tech or creative fields, may be more casual. You can also reach out to the HR representative or recruiter for guidance.

Should I wear jewelry or accessories?

Minimal and understated jewelry and accessories are appropriate for an interview. Avoid anything too flashy or distracting. For men, a watch and a simple tie clip or cufflinks are appropriate. For women, a watch, simple earrings, and a small necklace are suitable. Avoid wearing too many accessories at once.

Can I wear perfume or cologne?

It's best to avoid wearing strong scents to an interview, as some people may be sensitive or have allergies. If you do choose to wear perfume or cologne, make sure it is a subtle scent and apply sparingly. It's also a good idea to avoid wearing too much hairspray or other strong-smelling hair products.