Is my Centroid Calculation Correct?

In summary, the question is discussing the relationship between the centroid and the horizontal line of equal axis for a given shape. The conversation also mentions the concept of plastic analysis and the calculation of the plastic modulus. One person suggests using symmetry to confirm the relationship, while the other person presents a different method for finding the answer. The discrepancy in their answers may be due to one person using the plastic section modulus and the other using the elastic section modulus.
fonseh

Homework Statement

For this shape , it's clear that the centroid and the horizontal line of equal axis lies on the same horizontal line , am i right ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure . correct me if i am wrong . [/B]

Attachments

• 23.PNG
    23.PNG
    1.8 KB · Views: 731
Physics news on Phys.org
fonseh said:

Homework Statement

For this shape , it's clear that the centroid and the horizontal line of equal axis lies on the same horizontal line , am i right ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure . correct me if i am wrong . [/B]
Do you mean "line of equal area"?
Anyway, yes, symmetry should convince you that you're right if there's no other information given.

Likes fonseh
Mark44 said:
Do you mean "line of equal area"?
Anyway, yes, symmetry should convince you that you're right if there's no other information given.
Are you familiar with plastic analysis ? Zp here is the plastic modulus .

I use another method to do , but i get different answer , why ?

Here's my working : , Zp = Sum of area x ( difference between centroid of particluar area and the equal area axis )

Zp = [ (130)(20)(150-10) + (150)(20)(150/2) ] x 2 = 1178000 , but the ans provided is only 929040

fonseh said:
Are you familiar with plastic analysis ?
No, I'm not, but I am familiar with the concept of centroids.
My answer is based on the fact that the shape in the drawing is symmetric about its horizontal midline.
fonseh said:
Zp here is the plastic modulus .

I use another method to do , but i get different answer , why ?

Here's my working : , Zp = Sum of area x ( difference between centroid of particluar area and the equal area axis )

Zp = [ (130)(20)(150-10) + (150)(20)(150/2) ] x 2 = 1178000 , but the ans provided is only 929040

If you had a rectangular piece of some uniform, rigid material 150 mm by 300 mm, its centroid would be at the center of the piece, at a point 75 mm to the right of the left edge, and 150 mm above the lower edge. If you cut out a rectangle 130 mm by 260 mm to form a "C" shape as in your drawing, the centroid of the piece you remove would be at its center, and the centroid of the remaining C-shaped piece would be along the horizontal midline, but a bit right of where it was for the original uncut piece of material.

Your number looks correct for the plastic section modulus perhaps the book is looking for the elastic section modulus you'll have to run the numbers

Related to Is my Centroid Calculation Correct?

1. How do I calculate the centroid of a shape?

To calculate the centroid of a shape, you need to find the average of the x and y coordinates of all the points that make up the shape. This can be done by dividing the sum of all the x coordinates by the total number of points, and then doing the same for the y coordinates. The resulting point is the centroid.

2. How do I know if my centroid calculation is correct?

One way to check if your centroid calculation is correct is by using a known formula for the centroid of a specific shape and comparing it to your calculated value. Another way is to check if the centroid falls within the boundaries of the shape, as it should be located within the shape.

3. Can I use the centroid as a point of reference for my shape?

Yes, the centroid can be used as a point of reference for a shape. It is often used in engineering and architecture to determine the balance and stability of a structure. It can also be used in mathematics to find the center of mass of an object.

4. Does the centroid change if the shape is rotated or translated?

No, the centroid of a shape remains the same regardless of its orientation or position in space. This is because the centroid is based on the distribution of mass within the shape, which does not change when the shape is rotated or translated.

5. What happens if my shape has holes or cutouts?

If your shape has holes or cutouts, you can still calculate the centroid by treating each individual section as a separate shape and finding the centroid of each. Then, you can find the weighted average of the individual centroids to get the overall centroid of the shape.