Is My Calc 3 Homework Solution Correct?

• Thread starter algar32
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calc 3
Additionally, it may be helpful to provide a brief explanation of the closed region bounded by y=x^3 and y=4 before finding the extreme values.
algar32
Calc 3 tough! not sure if right.

Homework Statement

Can you check if this is right?
Let f(x,y) x^(2)y-3x^2-2y^2+11y+5
1. find all critical points of f(x)
crits at (0,11/4), (-1/3),(1/3)

2. determing nature of the crit points you found
D(-1,3) saddle
D(0,11/4) max
D(1,3) saddle

3. find the extreme values of f(x) on the closed region bounded by y=X^3 and y=4.
global min a f(0,0)=5
global max at f(-2,4) and f(2,4) =21

Sorry for the briefness. I wrote this out for the second time because it unlogged me in after I typed it all in and the brower ate my document :(.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answers look correct. The only thing I would suggest is that you include more detail in your explanations, such as how you determined the nature of each critical point and the extreme values of f(x).

Related to Is My Calc 3 Homework Solution Correct?

1. What are the main topics covered in Calculus 3?

Calculus 3 typically covers multivariable calculus, including topics such as vector-valued functions, partial derivatives, multiple integrals, and vector calculus.

2. Is Calculus 3 harder than Calculus 1 and 2?

This varies from person to person, but many students find Calculus 3 to be more challenging because it introduces new concepts such as vector calculus and multidimensional functions.

3. How can I prepare for Calculus 3?

It is important to have a strong understanding of Calculus 1 and 2 before taking Calculus 3. Reviewing key concepts and practicing problems from previous courses can also be helpful.

4. What are some common mistakes students make in Calculus 3?

Some common mistakes include mixing up notation, not understanding the geometric meaning behind concepts, and not practicing enough problems to fully understand the material.

5. How can I succeed in Calculus 3?

Success in Calculus 3 comes from actively engaging with the material, seeking help when needed, and practicing problems consistently. It is also important to review previous concepts and to stay organized and on top of assignments and exams.