Is matrix A in the form of RREF?Is Matrix A in RREF form?

In summary, for the first problem, to find the span of Null(A), the matrix A needs to be put in RREF form. From there, the free variables (columns 3 and 4) are identified and used to find the vectors that span the null space. For the second problem, the determinant of the vectors in S must be taken to determine if they are linearly independent and form a basis for the vector space V. The determinant is not 0, so S is a basis for V=R^3.
pyroknife
I attached 2 problems.

For problem #1. I want to make sure I'm on the right track, to find the span of Null(A), i need to put matrix A in RREF form. By doing so I get
x1=-2t
x2=-t
x3=s
x4=u (using u because I'm using t to denote transpose)
where x1 to x4 is for each respective column. x3 and x4 turns out to be the free variables (columns 3 and 4).
This gives the vectors s[0 0 1 0]^t and u[-2 -1 0 1]^t
Thus the vectors that span Null(A) = [0 0 1 0]^t and [-2 -1 0 1]^t

The second problem is for the 2nd matrix S in the attached file. The question asks, determine whether S is a basis for the vector space V.
To do this, I think I need to take the determinant of the 3 vectors in S. This gives a determinant of "-2." This implies that the vectors are linearly indepdent and thus they form a basis for V=R^3.

Did i do these 2 problems correctly?

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    3.9 KB · Views: 367
Physics news on Phys.org
pyroknife said:
I attached 2 problems.

For problem #1. I want to make sure I'm on the right track, to find the span of Null(A), i need to put matrix A in RREF form. By doing so I get
x1=-2t
x2=-t
x3=s
x4=u (using u because I'm using t to denote transpose)
where x1 to x4 is for each respective column. x3 and x4 turns out to be the free variables (columns 3 and 4).
You seem to be confused as to what A is doing. A maps R3 to R4. The null space of A is a subspace of R3, not R4 and so has nothing to do with x3 and x4, which are components in R4. Are you clear on the definition of "null space"?

This gives the vectors s[0 0 1 0]^t and u[-2 -1 0 1]^t
Thus the vectors that span Null(A) = [0 0 1 0]^t and [-2 -1 0 1]^t
You can write a linear transformation as a matrix and put it in RREF form but it is not necessary. The definition of "null space" of A is the set of vectors that A maps to 0. So (s, t, u), in R3, will be in the null space of A if and only if -2t= 0, -t= 0, s= 0, u= 0. That's pretty clear isn't it? The null space of this a is just the 0 vector, (s, t, u)= (0, 0, 0).

The second problem is for the 2nd matrix S in the attached file. The question asks, determine whether S is a basis for the vector space V.
No, it doesn't.

To do this, I think I need to take the determinant of the 3 vectors in S. This gives a determinant of "-2." This implies that the vectors are linearly indepdent and thus they form a basis for V=R^3.

Did i do these 2 problems correctly?
For the second problem, your A is, I think,
[tex]\begin{bmatrix} 1 & -1 & 0 & 1 \\ 2 & -2 & 0 & 2 \\ 0 & 1 & 0 & 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
which maps R4 to R3. Since the problem specifically says "find a set that spans the null space of A", and that is a subspace of R4, you need vectors in R4, not R3.

You seem to be intent on using "formulas" rather than thinking about what these things mean. That's a bad idea!

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
You seem to be confused as to what A is doing. A maps R3 to R4. The null space of A is a subspace of R3, not R4 and so has nothing to do with x3 and x4, which are components in R4. Are you clear on the definition of "null space"?

For the first problem, I was just following the example #2 on this site where the put the matrix in RREF form and found the vectors that span Null(A).

You can write a linear transformation as a matrix and put it in RREF form but it is not necessary. The definition of "null space" of A is the set of vectors that A maps to 0. So (s, t, u), in R3, will be in the null space of A if and only if -2t= 0, -t= 0, s= 0, u= 0. That's pretty clear isn't it? The null space of this a is just the 0 vector, (s, t, u)= (0, 0, 0).

But I am finding the span of Null (A).
There was a mistake in the solution I posted.
x1=-2t
x2=-t
x3=s
x4=t (I had u here previous which was wrong)

Thus,
S=[0 0 1 0]^t and [-2 -1 0 1]^t, where S spans the nullspace of A.

For the second problem, your A is, I think,
[tex]\begin{bmatrix} 1 & -1 & 0 & 1 \\ 2 & -2 & 0 & 2 \\ 0 & 1 & 0 & 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
which maps R4 to R3. Since the problem specifically says "find a set that spans the null space of A", and that is a subspace of R4, you need vectors in R4, not R3.

You seem to be intent on using "formulas" rather than thinking about what these things mean. That's a bad idea!

I didn't include the problem statement for the second problem. The "find vectors that span Nullspace(A)" is for matrix A. For S, then problem statement is "determine whether S is a basis for the vector space V." This was not included in the picture I attached. In order for S to be a basis for the vector space V, the vectors inside S must be linearly independent, thus det(S)≠0. In this case the determinant is not 0,thus it forms a basis for vector space V=R^3.

Related to Is matrix A in the form of RREF?Is Matrix A in RREF form?

What is a basis?

A basis is a set of linearly independent vectors that span a vector space. It is the smallest set of vectors that can generate all other vectors in the space through linear combinations.

What is a span?

A span is the set of all possible linear combinations of a given set of vectors. It represents the entire vector space that can be generated by those vectors.

What is the nullspace?

The nullspace, also known as the kernel, is the set of all vectors that when multiplied by a given matrix result in the zero vector. It is a subspace of the vector space and represents the solutions to a homogeneous system of linear equations.

How do you find the basis of a vector space?

To find the basis of a vector space, you need to find a set of linearly independent vectors that span the space. This can be done by row reducing a matrix representing the vectors and identifying the pivot columns as the basis vectors.

What is the relationship between basis, span, and nullspace?

The basis of a vector space can be used to define the span of the space, as it represents all possible linear combinations of the basis vectors. The nullspace is a subspace of the vector space and can be defined using the basis vectors as well.