Is maths easier to learn on your own compared to physics?

• Thread starter ilii
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, Robert Langland chose to major in mathematics over physics due to finding it easier to learn on his own. This may be because he found math textbooks easier to understand compared to physics textbooks. However, this preference may vary from person to person.
ilii
Hi,

I remember reading a bio on Robert Langland a few weeks ago and he said that when the time came for him to decide his major in school, he chose maths instead of physics. He said that he found maths easier to learn on his own when compared to physics, and this seemed to have an influence on his decision at the time.

I am not sure what this means - how is maths easier to learn than physics on your own?

Thank you~

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps he found it easier to follow math textbooks when reading through them than physics textbooks. It just depends on the person.

1. Is a strong foundation in math necessary for learning physics on your own?

Yes, a strong foundation in math is necessary for learning physics on your own. Physics relies heavily on mathematical concepts and equations, so having a good understanding of math will make learning physics much easier.

2. Can I learn physics without learning math?

No, it is not possible to learn physics without learning math. As mentioned before, physics is based on mathematical principles and equations. It is essential to have a solid understanding of math in order to understand and apply concepts in physics.

3. Is it easier to learn math and physics simultaneously or separately?

It depends on the individual's learning style. Some may find it easier to learn math and physics simultaneously as they can see the direct application of math in physics problems. Others may prefer to learn math first and then apply it to physics concepts. Ultimately, it is important to have a strong foundation in both subjects.

4. Are there any specific techniques or strategies for learning math and physics on your own?

Yes, there are various techniques and strategies that can help with learning math and physics on your own. These include practicing regularly, breaking down complex problems into smaller parts, seeking help from online resources or tutors, and using real-life examples to understand abstract concepts.

5. Can I master math and physics on my own without formal education?

While it is possible to learn and understand math and physics on your own, it may be challenging to master these subjects without formal education. Formal education provides structured learning, access to resources, and guidance from experienced instructors, which can greatly aid in mastering complex concepts in math and physics.