Is Mars' Metallic Core Possible With a Mean Density Lower Than Earth's Mantle?

• Thread starter luozk123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Core Mars
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of Mars having a metallic core despite having a lower mean density compared to Earth's mantle. The question also mentions the density of basalt at one atmospheric pressure and the mean densities of Earth's mantle, core, and overall density. The conversation touches on the idea that the surface density of Mars may be less dense than the mean density, which could explain the presence of a denser core. However, there is uncertainty about the composition of Mars' surface and the conditions for forming a metallic core.
luozk123
please help me to solve this problem:
Mars has a mean density less than the mean density of the Earth's mantle. How is it possible
that Mars could have a metallic core given this fact? Hint: No calculations are required.
Compare the densities used in part a) with the density of mantle rocks like basalt at one
terrestrial atmospheric pressure.
the densities the question mentions are the mean densities of the Earth's mantle(4700kg/m^3) core(9711kg/m^3) and mean density of the earth(5520kg/m^3)
thx!
I know that the density of basalt is 3000kg/m^3 at one atmospheric pressure。 I think it might be that on the surface of the planet, the densities of rocks is less than they are in the mantle, which explains why basalt's density is lesser than the mantle. However, i don't know the composition of the surface of Mars, so i can't get the mean density of Mars surface. I am trying to prove that the surface density of Mars is less denser than the mean density, then I can say there must be a denser core deep in Mars. But the problems are: I don't know Mars' surface density, and I don't know the conditions of forming a metallic core...

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
What do you think?

This looks like homework. We have rules about asking for help on homework. We do not do your homework for you at this site. We instead help you do your own homework. You need to show that you yourself have thought about this problem.

Related to Is Mars' Metallic Core Possible With a Mean Density Lower Than Earth's Mantle?

1. What is the composition of Mars' core?

The core of Mars is primarily made up of iron and nickel, similar to the cores of Earth and other rocky planets. However, it is thought to have a higher concentration of sulfur and a lower concentration of lighter elements such as oxygen and carbon compared to Earth's core.

2. How large is the core of Mars?

The core of Mars is estimated to have a radius of about 1,800 kilometers, which is roughly half the size of Earth's core.

3. Is the core of Mars solid or liquid?

It is believed that the core of Mars is mostly solid, with a small liquid outer core. This is based on data from the InSight lander and models of Mars' interior.

4. How does the core of Mars affect the planet's magnetic field?

The core of Mars is responsible for generating a weak magnetic field, which is about 1% the strength of Earth's. This magnetic field helps protect the planet from solar wind and radiation.

5. Could there be life in the core of Mars?

No, it is highly unlikely that there is or has ever been life in the core of Mars. The extreme temperatures and lack of liquid water make it impossible for any known forms of life to exist there.