Is Magicjack VoIP PC Phone Really That Cost-Effective?

• Thread starter edward
  • Start date
  • Tags
    pc
In summary: Jack offers a 2 year contract for $40 that includes the first year, and then $20/year to continue using the service.Not sure about the static thing, but I have not had any problems with my calls. Although, I typically use Skype which I believe does not have that issue.In summary, magicJack offers a cheap way to make phone calls, but be aware of the spyware and bad tech support claims.
edward
I haven't seen this infomercial before, but then I am not usually watching TV at 3:00AM

It sounds too easy?

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org

Greg Bernhardt said:
There are TONS of youtube hate videos on this. Beware!

Ah Ha I knew it sounded too easy. :smile:

edward said:
Ah Ha I knew it sounded too easy. :smile:

Apparently the issues is that it installs spyware on your computer, has bad tech support and anything outside a local number is very staticy

Skype offers calls to landlines for $2.95/month = $35.4/yr, and I'm sure other VOIP to landline services have similar rates.

i have had mine for bout 3 years, paid the first two years a year at a time (first year was actually included in the 40 dollar price for unit) and since have sent 70 bucks for the next five years.

cons

it has to be plugged into a computer that is connected to the internet and booted up. on occasion some calls are ghetto staticie, but from what i can tell its always the same people, with a particular cell phone. 99 percent of the time calls are clear both ways. one time they did a software upgrade that dumped all my contact info, but i had backed such up so was able to recover.

pros

60 bucks for two years (40 to start, 20 the second year) and 70 for the next five years.

u can plug an old school phone into it, or a cordless phone, or a splitter and both, or two splitters and 3 phones. or, you can just plug it into say a laptop, then switch to headset mode, plug nothing else in, and use your laptop as a speakerphone, the laptops mic picking up yer voice, and the speakers producing the sound from the other end. that's cool. i take my laptop when i travel, then i can pull into somewhere with free wifi like mcdonalds, and start making calls. ok mcdonalds wifi is a little ghetto slow, bad example, but anywhere where i get a descent connection.

when calls are missed cause i did not pick them up, or the thing was turned off, magicjack takes a message, encodes it into a wav file, and sends it to my email. that's cool.

for the money, 99 percent of the time is fine by me. maybe i am the lucky one, but do not think so. if u have broadband, its only 40 bucks for a year to find out for yourself. or pay others more, its up to u.

peace

wired one

edward said:
I haven't seen this infomercial before, but then I am not usually watching TV at 3:00AM

It sounds too easy?

I have a co-worker who uses this. But he's... unique... I literally wouldn't know how to interpret his experiences with it.

Last edited by a moderator:

magicJack VocalTec Ltd.
Follow-on Public Offering
Expected Pricing Week of: 12/12/2011

SCARY!

The cost of leaving a computer running for a year can be quite a bit over 100$ depedning on the model, I believe.

Related to Is Magicjack VoIP PC Phone Really That Cost-Effective?

1. What is Magicjack VoIP PC Phone?

Magicjack VoIP PC Phone is a Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) service that allows users to make and receive phone calls using their computer and an internet connection. It is a cost-effective alternative to traditional landline phone services.

2. How does Magicjack VoIP PC Phone work?

Magicjack VoIP PC Phone uses a technology called VoIP to convert voice signals into digital data and transmit them over the internet. The user needs to have a Magicjack device connected to their computer and a high-speed internet connection to use the service.

3. What are the features of Magicjack VoIP PC Phone?

Magicjack VoIP PC Phone offers features such as call waiting, voicemail, caller ID, call forwarding, and international calling at affordable rates. It also allows users to make calls to both landline and mobile numbers.

4. Can I keep my current phone number with Magicjack VoIP PC Phone?

Yes, you can transfer your current phone number to Magicjack VoIP PC Phone for a one-time fee. This process is known as number porting and may take a few days to complete.

5. Is Magicjack VoIP PC Phone a reliable service?

Magicjack VoIP PC Phone has been in the market for over a decade and has a large user base, which speaks to its reliability. However, the quality of the service may depend on the strength and stability of your internet connection.