Is Life in the Wreck Patrol As Bad As It Sounds?

• Thread starter nsaspook
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Life
In summary, the Philippines marines maintain a small outpost on a tiny reef in the South China Sea. The rats and cockroaches that live on the outpost are eating the ship that has been deliberately grounded there, and the outpost itself is in an extremely remote and insecure location.
nsaspook
Science Advisor
http://www.cnn.com/interactive/2014/07/world/south-china-sea-dispute/index.html

Deliberately grounded on a tiny reef in the South China Sea, part of an island chain claimed by the two Asian countries, the Sierra Madre is now the unlikely base for a detachment of Filipino marines who stand guard over the atoll, scanning the turquoise waters for Chinese ships.
"I estimate there are five to six hundred rats and a million cockroaches."

— Hilbert Bigania, Philippines marine

Physics news on Phys.org
So, they have a hard time getting supplies to the marines and the marines have to supplement their diet by catching fish. They go out fishing twice a day, in fact.

This raises the question: what are the rats and cockroaches eating?

zoobyshoe said:
So, they have a hard time getting supplies to the marines and the marines have to supplement their diet by catching fish. They go out fishing twice a day, in fact.

This raises the question: what are the rats and cockroaches eating?

It looks likes the cockroaches are eating the ship (mold, slime and god knows what else in the interior) then the rats eat the roaches and the roaches eat the dead rats. I'm sure the diet is high in iron in the food chain. The poor guys look like castaways looking for a rescue.

This dispute is mainly over sea lanes and possible large oil fields that nobody has found yet but everybody wants a piece of in case it is found.
http://energyinasiablog.com/2011/10/the-spratly-islands-dispute-defining-sea-lane-security/

Last edited:
A very remote, insecure military outpost.

If they had a small science team aboard, there'd be nothing to prevent it from becoming the first scene in a horror novel.

I heard cockroaches love to eat glue. So they don't even need real food.

Although, I'm not sure how long they can live on glue.

zoobyshoe said:
A very remote, insecure military outpost.

If they had a small science team aboard, there'd be nothing to prevent it from becoming the first scene in a horror novel.

Release the Kraken:
sea_monster.jpg

leroyjenkens said:
I heard cockroaches love to eat glue. So they don't even need real food.

Although, I'm not sure how long they can live on glue.

Old style glue made from horse hooves was probably quite tasty.
Young kids like white pasty glue I have heard, so why wouldn't cockroaches.

Related to Is Life in the Wreck Patrol As Bad As It Sounds?

What is "Life in the Wreck patrol" about?

"Life in the Wreck patrol" is a documentary series that follows a group of marine scientists and researchers as they explore and study shipwrecks around the world. The show highlights the dangers and challenges of deep-sea diving and the incredible discoveries made by the team.

What kind of research is conducted by the Wreck patrol team?

The Wreck patrol team conducts various types of research, including marine archaeology, marine biology, and oceanography. They use specialized equipment and techniques to collect data and artifacts from shipwrecks, which help them better understand historical events and marine life in the wreck sites.

How do the team members prepare for their expeditions?

The team members undergo extensive training and preparation before each expedition. This includes physical fitness training, safety protocols, and specialized training in scuba diving, underwater photography, and other necessary skills. They also conduct thorough research on the specific wreck site they will be exploring.

What are some of the challenges faced by the Wreck patrol team?

The Wreck patrol team faces many challenges during their expeditions, including unpredictable weather conditions, technical difficulties with equipment, and potential hazards from the wreck sites. They also have to deal with the physical and mental strain of deep-sea diving, which can be dangerous and exhausting.

What are some of the most exciting discoveries made by the Wreck patrol team?

The Wreck patrol team has made numerous exciting discoveries, including rare artifacts and historical objects from shipwrecks, new species of marine life, and even uncovering new information about famous shipwrecks such as the Titanic. Their discoveries have contributed greatly to our understanding of maritime history and the ocean's ecosystems.

Back