Is legal immigration to USA a dream?

• Thread starter AlexES16
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Usa
In summary: The immigration agent appeared to find this extremely annoying. After the first question was answered in this manner, the agent cut off the responder at the beginning of his next response with: "What do you mean by "yes"? How is "yes" an answer to (insert question here)?" When this happened a third time, it quickly devolved into the agent yelling at the applicant, and insulting his language and comprehension skills (loudly enough that the couple of hundred people in the office could all hear it) before rejecting his visa application. So not only is it important to have the required academic/professional qualifications, you also have to get a little lucky and not end up on the other side of the
AlexES16
I really would like to move to USA, I am going to be a mechatronics engineer and i don't want to recive social security in the USA, just want to go and work hard and good in exchange for living in USA by my own effort, but looks like USA only accept terrorist or crazy guys that become nuts and wana destroy the USA. Looks like you are going to legalize the ilegals or something like that. So in resume it is possible to immigrate to USA legally? or better look in Europe?.

Reason to Immigrate: Study hard to get killed any of this days by an ignorant gang member, poverty and low technology here in my country El Salvador.

Physics news on Phys.org

Coming to the states? Bring cocaine. You'll spend a nice stretch in prison and get your high school diploma, free food and gym and lodging, and language immersion as well. If you want to work - no problem. You can work for 10 cents an hour making various things and learning skills at the same time.

cronxeh said:
Coming to the states? Bring cocaine. You'll spend a nice stretch in prison and get your high school diploma, free food and gym and lodging, and language immersion as well. If you want to work - no problem. You can work for 10 cents an hour making various things and learning skills at the same time.

Have you ever been in prison or are you speaking out of ignorance?

AlexES16 said:
So in resume it is possible to immigrate to USA legally? or better look in Europe?
This probably varies a bit by country, but IMO, it's not easy. My opinion is based on limited statistics from people that I went to school with, friends, acquaintances and hearsay.

Let me recall an anecdote - this is from India. I had gained admission into a Graduate Program in the US, and was standing in line at the Consular Office, waiting for my visa interview with the agent behind the window.

The person in front of me was being interviewed: he had just been accepted by the New Jersey Institute of Technology for (I think) an MS in Computer Science. The agent asked the applicant to explain why he believed he would get a top-notch education at this particular Institute, and why couldn't get a similar education in India. The applicant couldn't sufficiently convince the agent (he could not/would not, for instance, state how high the NJIT Comp Sci program was ranked among others). His student visa application was denied.

More or less simultaneously, another person was being "interviewed" (I would say 'harassed') at the next line over. Whenever the agent asked this person a question, he began by prefacing his response with a "yes", and then proceeding to answer the actual question. This is not uncommon among Indians - the almost involuntary utterance of the "yes" is essentially an acknowledgment that the question has been understood. The immigration agent appeared to find this extremely annoying. After the first question was answered in this manner, the agent cut off the responder at the beginning of his next response with: "What do you mean by "yes"? How is "yes" an answer to (insert question here)?" When this happened a third time, it quickly devolved into the agent yelling at the applicant, and insulting his language and comprehension skills (loudly enough that the couple of hundred people in the office could all hear it) before rejecting his visa application.

So not only is it important to have the required academic/professional qualifications, you also have to get a little lucky and not end up on the other side of the window from a pompous immigration agent who can't stand having to live in the squalor of a third world country and believes s/he is doing you a personal favor by granting you a visa.

Ivan Seeking said:
Have you ever been in prison or are you speaking out of ignorance?

These are the only options I get?

AlexES16 said:
but looks like USA only accept terrorist or crazy guys that become nuts and wana destroy the USA. Looks like you are going to legalize the ilegals or something like that. So in resume it is possible to immigrate to USA legally? or better look in Europe?.

Heh, I can understand the sentiment. My parents, both immigrants from India, are also really pissed off at illegal immigrants, since those guys are basically circumventing a system that they had to go through legitimately. But I don't think the situation is so bleak. My department accepts lots of foreign grad students every year. So yeah, I think it's possible to come over here for grad school or whatever.

Gokul43201 said:
This probably varies a bit by country, but IMO, it's not easy. My opinion is based on limited statistics from people that I went to school with, friends, acquaintances and hearsay.

Let me recall an anecdote - this is from India. I had gained admission into a Graduate Program in the US, and was standing in line at the Consular Office, waiting for my visa interview with the agent behind the window.

The person in front of me was being interviewed: he had just been accepted by the New Jersey Institute of Technology for (I think) an MS in Computer Science. The agent asked the applicant to explain why he believed he would get a top-notch education at this particular Institute, and why couldn't get a similar education in India. The applicant couldn't sufficiently convince the agent (he could not/would not, for instance, state how high the NJIT Comp Sci program was ranked among others). His student visa application was denied.

More or less simultaneously, another person was being "interviewed" (I would say 'harassed') at the next line over. Whenever the agent asked this person a question, he began by prefacing his response with a "yes", and then proceeding to answer the actual question. This is not uncommon among Indians - the almost involuntary utterance of the "yes" is essentially an acknowledgment that the question has been understood. The immigration agent appeared to find this extremely annoying. After the first question was answered in this manner, the agent cut off the responder at the beginning of his next response with: "What do you mean by "yes"? How is "yes" an answer to (insert question here)?" When this happened a third time, it quickly devolved into the agent yelling at the applicant, and insulting his language and comprehension skills (loudly enough that the couple of hundred people in the office could all hear it) before rejecting his visa application.

So not only is it important to have the required academic/professional qualifications, you also have to get a little lucky and not end up on the other side of the window from a pompous immigration agent who can't stand having to live in the squalor of a third world country and believes s/he is doing you a personal favor by granting you a visa.

Thanks a lot for the anecdote. Ill do good in university, learn english and start thinking my reasons why to immigrate to USA and hopefully some luck .

arunma said:
Heh, I can understand the sentiment. My parents, both immigrants from India, are also really pissed off at illegal immigrants, since those guys are basically circumventing a system that they had to go through legitimately. But I don't think the situation is so bleak. My department accepts lots of foreign grad students every year. So yeah, I think it's possible to come over here for grad school or whatever.

Thanks for the info. What deparament? any information about the engineerings?

well, if you have money, our university system would just love for you to come on down and spend it here. which is probably a good way for you to get your foot in the door, by the way.

Proton Soup said:
well, if you have money, our university system would just love for you to come on down and spend it here. which is probably a good way for you to get your foot in the door, by the way.

I don't have that money

Alex,

if you want to immigrate to first world country, the easiest way would be probably to immigrate to Canada. If you have university education, 1 year of full-time work experience in your occupation and you know English or French when it is quite possible to immigrate to Canada in Skilled workers and professionals category.

The link is http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/index.asp"

Immigrating to US, I do not believe there is much chance, unless you are very wealthy. The other way to immigrate to US is to play visa lottery, but chances are very low unless you are from small ethnic minority group that is not represented in US.
The link is http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_1322.html"
Unfortunately,I think people from El-Salvador are not egligible to participate in the lottery

Last edited by a moderator:
vici10 said:
Immigrating to US, I do not believe there is much chance, unless you are very wealthy.

or very poor :wink:

plenty of people "chasing el norte"

Related to Is legal immigration to USA a dream?

1. Is it possible to legally immigrate to the USA?

Yes, it is possible to legally immigrate to the USA through various immigration programs such as family-based immigration, employment-based immigration, and diversity visa lottery. Each program has its own eligibility requirements and application process.

2. How long does the legal immigration process to the USA take?

The length of the legal immigration process to the USA can vary greatly depending on the type of immigration program you are applying for and your individual circumstances. On average, it can take anywhere from several months to several years.

3. What are the benefits of legal immigration to the USA?

Legal immigration to the USA can offer many benefits such as the ability to live and work in the country, access to education and healthcare, and the opportunity to become a citizen and enjoy the rights and privileges that come with it.

4. Are there any risks involved in legal immigration to the USA?

There are potential risks involved in any immigration process, including legal immigration to the USA. These may include lengthy wait times, potential denial of your application, and the possibility of having to leave the country if your visa or green card is revoked.

5. Can I apply for legal immigration to the USA while in the country on a tourist visa?

No, it is not possible to apply for legal immigration to the USA while on a tourist visa. You must be outside of the country and follow the proper application process through the US embassy or consulate in your home country.