Is Kolmogorov Complexity Infinite for All Noncomputable Irrational Numbers?

• Thread starter cragar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Complexity
In summary: So, you're right, it is tricky.In summary, to figure out the Kolmogorov complexity of an irrational number, you can look at the shortest formula to compute that number. However, if the number is an uncomputable real, it may have infinite complexity. An example of this is taking a noncomputable number and interpersing 0's in every other digit position, where it takes just a little more than half as much information to compute the number compared to the original number. This shows that not all noncomputable numbers have equal randomness and that the concept of complexity can be tricky when dealing with infinity.
cragar
How would I figure out the Kolmogorov complexity of an irrational number?
Could I just look at the shortest formula to compute that number.
If it is an uncomputable real, does it have infinite complexity?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Yes, and yes.

cragar said:
How would I figure out the Kolmogorov complexity of an irrational number?
Could I just look at the shortest formula to compute that number.
If it is an uncomputable real, does it have infinite complexity?

I saw an interesting example online the other day. Take a noncomputable number and interperse 0's in every other digit position. Then for each finite-length initial segment, it takes just a little more than half as much information to compute the number with the 0's in every other position as it does to compute the original number. So not all noncomputable numbers are equally random. It's tricker than I'd realized.

Last edited:
where did you see this example

SteveL27 said:
I saw an interesting example online the other day. Take a noncomputable number and interperse 0's in every other digit position. Then for each finite-length initial segment, it takes just a little more than half as much information to compute the number with the 0's in every other position as it does to compute the original number. So not all noncomputable numbers are equally random. It's tricker than I'd realized.

That sounds suspiciously like infinity/2 = infinity.

Related to Is Kolmogorov Complexity Infinite for All Noncomputable Irrational Numbers?

1. What is the definition of an irrational number?

An irrational number is a real number that cannot be expressed as a fraction of two integers. It is a number that goes on infinitely without repeating and cannot be written in decimal form as a terminating or repeating decimal.

2. How are irrational numbers different from rational numbers?

Rational numbers can be expressed as a ratio of two integers, while irrational numbers cannot. Additionally, irrational numbers have an infinite number of non-repeating decimals, while rational numbers have a finite number of digits in their decimal representation.

3. Can irrational numbers be calculated exactly?

No, irrational numbers cannot be calculated exactly because they have an infinite number of digits and do not follow a repeating pattern. They can only be approximated to a certain degree of accuracy.

4. How do irrational numbers relate to the complexity of mathematics?

Irrational numbers play a crucial role in mathematics as they make up the majority of the real numbers. They are essential in many mathematical concepts and calculations, and their complexity adds depth and richness to the field of mathematics.

5. Are there any practical applications of irrational numbers?

Yes, irrational numbers have practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer science. They are used in calculations involving circles, waves, and exponential growth, among other things.