Is it Weird I Find Physics II easier than Physics I?

In summary, people who take Physics I at a community college usually perform worse on tests than those who take Physics II at a university. However, this isn't always the case and there are a few reasons why this may be so. One of these reasons is that Physics I is a "weed out" course, which makes the tests more difficult. Another reason is that people who take Physics I usually find electricity and magnetism more interesting, which results in better grades.
sheldonrocks97
Gold Member
Is it weird that I find physics II easier than physics I? I am currently in Physics II at university and flying through it with an A. However, I took Physics I at Community College and BARELY got a B.

On my tests so far this semester I got a 87 on the first one and a 97 on the second one. In physics I, my highest exam score was an 86.

I never really liked mechanics but I absolutely love E&M. It's one of the reasons I decided to become an EE major. I love studying how charges behave and about properties of electric fields.

Am I in the minority here or do other people think Physics II is easier.

*By the way I'm talking about calculus based physics where physics I is mechanics and physics II is electricity and magnetism*.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi. Maybe it's just because you learned a whole new subject the first time, and now have all of that out of the way to concentrate on specifics?

This isn't unusual in any domain.

I aced the final year of my degree after performing pretty mediocre in the previous 3.

It's quite reasonable in my mind.
Whenever I encounter a subject that's really up my alley, I can spend countless hours studying about it.
Even though I usually need less time to study it because it registers faster. Which is often why better grades and understanding follow.

Physics I at my university was our "weed out" course, in that the one professor who usually teaches it makes his tests very long and difficult (so that in the end, a 40 could be a B). Physics II was a bit more straightforward. Another thing it could be is that maybe you find electricity and magnetism more interesting, so you're inclined to study it more. Ultimately, physics II isn't radically diffferent from physics I. After all, a decent sized portion of Physics I is spent dealing with kinematics, and another portion on forces or vectors, so, aside from being in different contexts, seeing these things in Physics II isn't too bad, because you've already dealt with them.

Related to Is it Weird I Find Physics II easier than Physics I?

1. Is it common for people to find Physics II easier than Physics I?

It is not uncommon for people to find Physics II easier than Physics I. This is because Physics II builds upon the concepts learned in Physics I and may be more focused on specific topics that individuals may find easier to understand.

2. What are some reasons why someone may find Physics II easier than Physics I?

Some reasons why someone may find Physics II easier than Physics I include having a better understanding of the fundamental principles of physics, being more familiar with the mathematical concepts used in physics, or having a more intuitive grasp on the topics covered in Physics II.

3. Does finding Physics II easier than Physics I mean I am not as intelligent?

No, finding Physics II easier than Physics I does not necessarily mean you are not as intelligent. Different people have different strengths and may excel in different areas of study. It is important to focus on your own progress and understanding rather than comparing yourself to others.

4. Should I be concerned if I find Physics II easier than Physics I?

No, there is no need to be concerned if you find Physics II easier than Physics I. It is important to understand and master the concepts covered in both courses, and if you are able to do so more easily in Physics II, that is a positive sign.

5. Will finding Physics II easier than Physics I affect my future in science?

No, finding Physics II easier than Physics I will not necessarily affect your future in science. What is important is that you have a strong understanding of the concepts and are able to apply them in your future studies and career. If you are able to do so, it does not matter which course you found easier.