Is General Physics II harder than General Physics I?

In summary: Additionally, the level of difficulty in Physics 2 seemed to increase significantly from the first semester of Physics 1 to the second semester of Physics 2.
sheldonrocks97
Gold Member
I am transferring from community college to university in the fall with only General Physics I completed, so I need to take General Physics II at university.

I felt like I did okay in Physics I (I got a B), but I definitely would like to review some of the topics in that class, so what topics from that class would you say are most important for an EE major?

Also, what class would you say was harder, Physics I or Physics II and why? Also, what skills for physics II will I need to do well in the class, considering I will be taking it my first semester at university. Should I retake Physics I or can I jump straight into physics II from Physics I at community college? What would you say?

*By the way, I'm talking about Calculus based physics, not Algebra based*

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Since physics courses vary from college to college, I suggest you speak to a member of the physics department at the university that you are planning to attend.

The most common sequence is Physics I = mechanics: kinematics, forces, free body diagrams, pendulums, rotating bodies, moments of inertia, torque, etc.

Physics II = waves, heat, electricity ... perhaps some optics, or else acoustics for the waves; an introduction to electromagnetism and Maxwell's equations, simple circuits; relationships between heat, temperature, and entropy; heat engines. There is a lot of possible variations in Physics II, often dictated by the available lab equipment.

You can tell by looking at the course catalogs, or as mathman suggests: ask at the physics department; they will provide a copy of the latest syllabus.

I don't think one is harder than the other. They cover different materials at similar level of difficulty. Of course the actual level of difficulty depends on the institution, professor, textbook, etc...

Huge increase in difficulty from Phys1 to Phys2. More complicated Trigonometry in Electricity & Magnetism than what was needed for Phys1 Mechanics. You use tougher calculus skills than for Phys1.

My impression from going though both courses was that, although Physics 1 for fundamental mechanics was very difficult, I was able to learn and to understand. The lab exercises also I could understand and did them fairly well. Physics 2, E&M was different. All the same knowledge was needed from Phys1, but now, vectors were happening which could not easily be seen. More new concepts that I could not understand; field diagrams and opposite charges and potential and "ground"; much more complicated calculus to analyze and solve problems; and ... laboraotry...? ...intellectually lost.

Physics 2 E&M requires a student to be much stronger in Trigonometry than did Physics 1. Physics 2 also seemed to require more mathematical maturity.

Related to Is General Physics II harder than General Physics I?

1. Is the material in General Physics II more difficult than in General Physics I?

It depends on the individual's strengths and weaknesses. Some students may find certain concepts in General Physics II more challenging, while others may struggle more with topics covered in General Physics I.

2. Are the labs in General Physics II more challenging than in General Physics I?

The labs in General Physics II may require a higher level of understanding and application of concepts compared to those in General Physics I. However, this can also vary depending on the specific lab activities and the student's approach to the experiments.

3. Do I need to have taken General Physics I to do well in General Physics II?

While having a strong foundation in General Physics I can certainly help, it is not always necessary. The concepts covered in General Physics II build upon those in General Physics I, but some students may be able to catch up and understand the material with extra effort and practice.

4. Is the workload in General Physics II heavier than in General Physics I?

The workload in both courses can vary depending on the instructor and the school's curriculum. Generally, General Physics II may have a heavier workload because of the more complex concepts and labs, but this is not always the case.

5. Can I expect the same difficulty level in exams for General Physics II as in General Physics I?

The difficulty level of exams can vary depending on the instructor and the school's curriculum. However, it is safe to assume that the exams in General Physics II will require a deeper understanding and application of concepts compared to those in General Physics I.