Is it true that guys are better than girls at Physics?

• Thread starter Miyu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary: I'm not an expert) that girls are more likely to excel in subjects which are seen as "math-y" by society. For example, most girls love math, and they love to solve problems. This is something which can be helpful in physics, because physics is full of problems which require solving equations and understanding concepts.
And another... the credibility may be questionable:

http://www.iupe.org.br/nws/men/men-030906-sciam-sexoementehumana-1.htm

- Warren

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
From monique's post:

quote:
When presented with the decision of who shall stay home with their children, most married couples choose the female member of the husband-wife team.

Why might that be? Well with the inequity of male-female pay rates for the same job, I know which of my fiance and myself I might shoot for. Personally, I don't think that underlying cognitive abilities are going to be the major deciding factor. Because with that argument you would see many more women trying to go into the hard sciences and failing to do so. I am not convinced that is the case.

From monique's post:

quote:
When presented with the decision of who shall stay home with their children, most married couples choose the female member of the husband-wife team.

Why might that be? Well with the inequity of male-female pay rates for the same job, I know which of my fiance and myself I might shoot for. Personally, I don't think that underlying cognitive abilities are going to be the major deciding factor. Because with that argument you would see many more women trying to go into the hard sciences and failing to do so. I am not convinced that is the case.

Perhaps math is one of the factors? Not that women aren't good at it, but most aren't crazy about it? In school, I blew out math scores, but I didn't find it interesting. My daughter just got her achievement test scores back, national level, she made the 99th percentile, and she hates math and wasn't even trying. She would never consider physics because of the math.

I also believe that chroot is right about the spatial perception abilities, not to say women can't do as well, but it is more an exception than a rule. Also, I've noticed that men seem to be able to do math in their heads much easier and faster than women, but the women can calculate as quickly if they have pen & paper, could this be related to the same thing?

Well, I'm certainly not sexist in the sense that I believe either sex is superior to the other, but I do believe the sexes are a little better equipped for different tasks.

I won't descend into a discussion of why men are better at spatial reasoning and women have better memories. Some people would probably like us to believe that these skills evolved due to traditional roles in society (women take care of children, men become engineers) -- but no one with any sense would advance that argument. There are many non-Western cultures in which those roles are not assumed at all, but the differences remain.

In my opinion, the cognitive differences are slight -- diligence and perseverance easily overwhelm them. Further, in my opinion, the differences are probably just random, and do not lend support to any arguments about what men or women are "supposed" to do.

- Warren

Originally posted by Norman
that fact that there was even a discussion of this topic in this day and age says that we have a lot farther to go in gender equality. It is a little scary that someone even asked this question.

No offense, but that's a bunch of baloney. Men and women have different physiologies; cognitive ability arises from physiology; so it is natural to ask how the different physiologies of the sexes might affect their respective cognitive abilities. The answer to the question is open to empirical investigation, so there may or may not be any significant differences. But there is nothing wrong with merely asking this question and then trying to find out the answer.

Also, I would like to point out that saying "women can be very good at physics" or "women can be just as good or better than men at physics" is not an answer to the question "are men better than women at physics?" This a basic matter of statistics. We are comparing averages here, and a handful of data points does not an average make. For instance, even if the top female physicists were 'better' on average than the top male physicists, it could still be the case that males on the whole are better on average.

Can someone please tell me what "better at physics" means, especially that Better word...

I don't see either how you are ever going to measure being better at physics. Being good at something is more than just spatial something.

In my college I switched from Medical Biology to Biochemistry. Medical Biology was 90% girls, while Biochemistry was 90% guys. The girl group was very hard working and always got good grades and passed all the exams, the guy group were the stupidist ever, never passed a single class and IF they passed, it was barely.

Maybe it is just Dutch people, that are odd..

So us guys are stupid? :frown:

- Warren

According to statistics you are! Just that the 20 smart men on this globe converge here on PF, doesn't mean all men are smart :wink:

Originally posted by Monique
According to statistics you are! Just that the 20 smart men on this globe converge here on PF, doesn't mean all men are smart :wink:
I'm feeling a little man-hating going on here. Did you have a bad date recently or something?

- Warren

You could ask if the male brain is more adept to analyzing physics problems (whatever thàt may mean..)

Originally posted by chroot
I'm feeling a little man-hating going on here. Did you have a bad date recently or something?

- Warren
I am going out with three (maybe even four) guys tonight (movie and diner), I am feeling lucky! Um, just to emphisize statistics: they probably think physics is a type of workout routine

So you're going out with a whole pack of nerds? Which one will buy you dinner? I didn't know you were so... experimental.

- Warren

depends what qualifies as a nerd, education is the last thing on their mind.. they might be good physicists though, I think their brain works in alternate dimensions..

Sounds like you'll have your... hands full.

- Warren

I am going out with three (maybe even four) guys tonight (movie and diner), I am feeling lucky! Um, just to emphisize statistics: they probably think physics is a type of workout routine
Need help? :wink:

No man-hating from me at least, CHROOT. Men are wonderful. What would we do without them.

Man hating? It is a fact that all the female students were very smart and all the male students incredibly stupid at my Biochem college.

"Is it true that guys are better than girls at Physics?"

I don't know the answer to the above question; however, I know for sure that men are better (a lot better) at backing up and parallel-parking cars.

Thank you for reading.
mallo.gif

Last edited:
Originally posted by Julian Solos
I know for sure that men are beter (a lot better) at backing up and parallel-parking c ars.[/PLAIN]
Yes, it's true. At least for me. I failed parallel parking when I took my drivers license test, but luckily I took my friend's advice and wore a *very* short skirt. The officer in the car with me barely noticed my driving and I passed! Which brings up another difference, most men's brains are often overridden by their libido.

WooHoo! Go Monique!

Dont knock the fact that our libidos over-ride common sense! you passed your test didnt you, so why complain?

Originally posted by jimmy p
Dont knock the fact that our libidos over-ride common sense! you passed your test didnt you, so why complain?
I wasn't complaining. :wink:

lol neither do most girls i fuss over :wink:

...and probably guys spoiling girls too, they don't complain...whatever. its all me here!