Is it possible to use air as a medium to display images?

In summary, Dave thinks that holograms are not really that great because they need special gases and they don't have control over the light. He also believes that screens are 2 dimensional and that the format of the hologram ought to follow a similar suite though he might as well take advantage of the extra dimension. He also thinks that if you were to combine acoustics with projection, there might be a way to compress the air using acoustics waves enough to reflect to scatter projected light.
GreenAce92
Yes holographs but not really

So... I guess what I'm trying to get around is energy levels

I will admit that my understanding is vague

I believe I understand that certain gases are easier to excite (to give off light when going back down) like xenon but what about the general atmospher eg. oxygen, nitrogen

I thought about using magnetic fields and then projecting an inverse image

If a screen uses Red Green Blue then in theory couldn't I create a screen from the air using this principle ?

I thought that if I could excite the air so that the air is ready to give off light, couldn't I control what light is given off by beaming a certain anti-light so if I wanted red, I would beam everything else but red 900nm or something

I just wonder if holograms are not good if they need to lasers and special gases perhaps enclosed in a container or mirrors...

Physics news on Phys.org
Interesting idea. In the aurorae borialis and australis the nitrogen and oxygen atoms in the air get excited by particles coming from the sun. They are guided to the polar regions by the Earth's magnetic field.

Is that sort of event replicable without any crazy technology?

I mean, marketable anyway

The Earth's magnetic field isn't very strong right? What about the energy from the sun? The solar flares? Is that a lot? MeV's or something?

GreenAce92 said:
Is that sort of event replicable without any crazy technology?

I mean, marketable anyway ...
a shop coloured neon sign is basically the same principal.Dave

Isn't that using non-normal gas?

That's a defined shape too

No control

It's like, screens are 2dimensional so the format of the holgram ought to follow a similar suite though I suppose you might as well take advantage of the extra dimension. Now pages can truly appear to be stacked.

Last edited:
What if you were to combine acoustics with projection? Might there be a way to compress the air using acoustics waves enough to reflect to scatter projected light?

Related to Is it possible to use air as a medium to display images?

What is the concept behind using air as a medium to display images?

The concept behind using air as a medium to display images is based on the principle of persistence of vision. This means that our eyes retain an image for a split second after it has disappeared. By rapidly illuminating different areas of air, we can create the illusion of an image appearing in thin air.

What technology is used to create images using air as a medium?

The technology used to create images using air as a medium is known as aerial imaging or aerial projection. This technology involves the use of lasers, projectors, or other light sources to create an image in the air by illuminating tiny particles or droplets suspended in the air.

Is it possible to create colored images using air as a medium?

Yes, it is possible to create colored images using air as a medium. This can be achieved by using a combination of different colored lasers or projectors to illuminate the air particles or droplets. The color of the image can also be changed by altering the composition of the particles or droplets in the air.

What are the limitations of using air as a medium for displaying images?

There are a few limitations to using air as a medium for displaying images. One limitation is that the image may not be as sharp or clear as a traditional display, as it is dependent on the movement of air particles. Another limitation is that the image may be affected by external factors such as wind or humidity. Additionally, the technology for creating aerial images can be expensive and may not be suitable for large-scale displays.

Can air be used as a medium for displaying images outdoors?

Yes, air can be used as a medium for displaying images outdoors. However, outdoor conditions such as wind, humidity, and temperature can affect the quality and clarity of the image. Specialized equipment and techniques may be required to overcome these challenges and create a successful outdoor aerial image display.