Is it possible to image individual air molecules?

In summary, imaging individual air molecules is possible through the use of advanced technologies such as scanning tunneling microscopy and atomic force microscopy. These techniques allow scientists to visualize and manipulate individual particles, providing valuable insights into the behavior and properties of gases at the molecular level. However, the process is complex and requires specialized equipment, making it a challenging task to capture images of individual air molecules.
Hunter235711
I was wondering if it is possible to image the motion of individual air molecules? What I am picturing is using a laser to illuminate a volume of air, and using scattered light to measure the velocity of individual air molecules through the doppler shift of the scattered light. It seems that this would allow sound waves passing through the air to be detected.

In essence it seems you could build a microphone where the air itself if the sensing element.

Physics news on Phys.org
What you describe is not imaging individual air molecules, as your scattered signal comes from a large set of molecules. It is possible to measure the temperature and the net motion of rubidium that way, air is more challenging as the required photon energy is higher, but I guess in principle it is possible as well.

Likes Hunter235711 and vanhees71
Ah, that makes sense. So, say I want to actually go about building such a microphone. How could I calculate the amount of scattered light from an illuminated volume of air? Also, how does this depend on wavelength?

If such a microphone could be constructed it would have the benefit that there is no impedance discontinuity between the air and the sensing medium (also air).

You would have to hit one of the transition frequencies of atoms/molecules in the gas, and then scan over the frequency range of the spectral line. There are formulas for the absorption of electromagnetic radiation in atomic/molecular transitions.
Hunter235711 said:
If such a microphone could be constructed it would have the benefit that there is no impedance discontinuity between the air and the sensing medium (also air).
Yes, but it would be horribly inefficient because it would look for a tiny effect.

Not what you asked about, but related (from Wikipedia article on the Field Ion Microscope):

The field ion microscope is a type of microscope that can be used to image the arrangement of atoms at the surface of a sharp metal tip. It was the first technique by which individual atoms could be spatially resolved.

Likes nasu
mfb said:
You would have to hit one of the transition frequencies of atoms/molecules in the gas

How can I find more information about where these transition frequencies would occur for air? I don't even know if they would be in the microwave/infrared/visible part of the spectrum.

Related to Is it possible to image individual air molecules?

1. Can individual air molecules be seen with the naked eye?

No, individual air molecules cannot be seen with the naked eye. They are too small to be visible to the human eye, as they are thousands of times smaller than the width of a human hair.

2. How is it possible to image individual air molecules?

Individual air molecules can be imaged using specialized instruments such as a scanning electron microscope or atomic force microscope. These instruments use high-powered lenses and detectors to capture images of individual molecules.

3. What is the size of an individual air molecule?

The size of an individual air molecule can vary, but on average, they are about 0.000000001 meters in diameter. This is incredibly small and makes them difficult to see without specialized equipment.

4. Are there any limitations to imaging individual air molecules?

Yes, there are limitations to imaging individual air molecules. The instruments used to image them are expensive and require highly controlled environments. Additionally, the molecules must be in a gas state and cannot be imaged in a liquid or solid state.

5. Why is imaging individual air molecules important?

Imaging individual air molecules is important for understanding the behavior and properties of gases on a molecular level. It also has applications in fields such as chemistry, physics, and materials science. It can help researchers develop new technologies and materials, as well as improve our understanding of the natural world.