Is it possible to train the brain to see using electrical signals?

• Medical
  • Thread starter RoisinB
  • Start date
In summary: I don't know if there have been any subsequent developments in this area, but it's something that's definitely worth investigating.
RoisinB
Hello everyone,

I recently read an article in the Guardian (I think) about neuroplasticity- where the brain can adapt to new environments by re-programming different parts to deal with different functions. So if part of the brain is damaged (say by a stroke) then it is possible to "train" an undamaged part to take up the load. I believe this is a correct understanding, although if I'm wrong please correct me.

They talked about a case study, a woman who had no sense of balance after an accident because the fluid in her ears was damaged, or something along those lines. They had successfully trained a part of her brain to take responses from an electrical signal placed under her tongue and turn these into a way to balance her.

I've been being very geeky now my exams are over, watching lots of Star Trek, and in the next generation episodes one of the crew is blind and has an electrical visor which allows him to "see". Does anybody know if there has ever been any research into this concept? If you can train the brain to balance using signals under the tongue, could you do something similar but training the brain to recognise visual patterns?

I'd be interested in anything you have to say, thanks!

P.S I'm a 3rd year undergrad physics student with an interest in medical physics, so I'm happy with long physics terms but if you're using medical terminology it'd be helpful if you could explain them. Thanks!

Biology news on Phys.org
http://www.normandoidge.com/normandoidge/MAIN.html

Last edited by a moderator:
RoisinB said:
I've been being very geeky now my exams are over, watching lots of Star Trek, and in the next generation episodes one of the crew is blind and has an electrical visor which allows him to "see". Does anybody know if there has ever been any research into this concept? If you can train the brain to balance using signals under the tongue, could you do something similar but training the brain to recognise visual patterns?

I remember watching a documentary once about something fairly similar to what you described. There was a woman who was blind due to a congenital disorder, which had developed throught her life, as she used to be able to see. The surgeons connected up about 20 small electrical light receptors to her optic nerve, and she was able to see using them. The images produced were inevitably very blurred and had no detail in them due to the small number of receptors, but she was very happy, as she was at least able to see vague outlines of people moving and to tell whether it was dark or light.

Related to Is it possible to train the brain to see using electrical signals?

What is neuroplasticity?

Neuroplasticity refers to the brain's ability to change and reorganize itself in response to new experiences, learning, and injury. It involves the creation of new neural connections and the strengthening or weakening of existing ones.

How does neuroplasticity relate to blindness?

In individuals who are blind, the brain rewires itself to compensate for the lack of visual input. This can involve utilizing other senses such as touch and hearing, as well as reorganizing the brain's visual processing areas for other functions.

Can neuroplasticity restore vision in blind individuals?

While neuroplasticity can improve other senses and functions in blind individuals, it cannot fully restore vision. However, it can potentially improve the use of prosthetic devices or assistive technologies for vision.

How can neuroplasticity be harnessed to aid blind individuals?

Research has shown that sensory substitution devices and training programs can utilize neuroplasticity to improve the use of other senses and functions in blind individuals. This can lead to increased independence and quality of life.

Is neuroplasticity limited to the brain?

No, neuroplasticity can also occur in other parts of the nervous system, such as the spinal cord and peripheral nerves. This allows for adaptations and recovery from injuries and diseases in these areas as well.