Is it Possible to Parametrize A Skewed Cone?

• Thread starter Karnage1993
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cone
In summary, the conversation discusses the parametrization of a skewed cone with an elliptical base from a given vertex. The given parametrization produces a cone with an elliptical base, but not at the desired vertex. Suggestions are given to parameterize the cone using a single parameter and a straight line from the vertex to a point on the ellipse. The z-component of the ellipse parametrization must be set to 0 in order to create a straight line.
Karnage1993
I would like to parametrize a skewed cone from a given vertex with an elliptical base, however I cannot seem to find the general formula for it. The parametrization given in http://mathworld.wolfram.com/EllipticCone.html produces a cone but not with the right vertex, ie, it is only a cone with an elliptical base, and not a skew cone with an elliptical base. The cone I want to parametrize is the cone on the right hand side in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Cone_3d.png , except with an ellipse base and not a circle. Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Karnage1993 said:
I would like to parametrize a skewed cone from a given vertex with an elliptical base, however I cannot seem to find the general formula for it. The parametrization given in http://mathworld.wolfram.com/EllipticCone.html produces a cone but not with the right vertex, ie, it is only a cone with an elliptical base, and not a skew cone with an elliptical base. The cone I want to parametrize is the cone on the right hand side in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Cone_3d.png , except with an ellipse base and not a circle. Any suggestions?

Sure. Do you know how to parameterize the ellipse in the xy plane with a single parameter, like ##\theta##? Then let (p,q,r) be the vertex. Parameterize the straight line from (p,q,r) to a point on the bottom ellipse as a function of t. The result will be a parameterization of the cone using those two parameters. Is that enough of a hint?

Yes, that works! Although, I had to include the z-component of the ellipse parametrization as 0 in order to make a straight line. Thanks for the help.

Karnage1993 said:
Yes, that works! Although, I had to include the z-component of the ellipse parametrization as 0 in order to make a straight line. Thanks for the help.

Yes, an ellipse in the xy plane would have z=0. You're welcome.

Related to Is it Possible to Parametrize A Skewed Cone?

1. Can a skewed cone be parametrized?

Yes, it is possible to parametrize a skewed cone. A skewed cone is a three-dimensional shape that has a circular base and a slanted or tilted side. This shape can be described using parametric equations, which are equations that express the coordinates of a point in terms of one or more parameters.

2. What is the standard parametrization for a skewed cone?

The standard parametrization for a skewed cone is given by the equations x = r cosθ, y = r sinθ, and z = hθ, where r is the radius of the base, θ is the angle of rotation around the central axis, and h is the height of the cone. These equations can be used to represent any point on the surface of a skewed cone.

3. How is a skewed cone different from a regular cone?

A skewed cone is different from a regular cone in that it has a slanted or tilted side, whereas a regular cone has a straight side that is perpendicular to the base. This means that the parametrization for a skewed cone will involve an additional parameter (θ) to account for the slanting of the side.

4. Can a skewed cone be parametrized using other types of equations?

Yes, a skewed cone can be parametrized using other types of equations, such as cylindrical or spherical coordinates. However, the standard parametrization using Cartesian coordinates (x, y, z) is the most common and simplest way to parametrize a skewed cone.

5. What are some real-world examples of skewed cones?

Some real-world examples of skewed cones include ice cream cones, traffic cones, and certain types of roof structures such as tent roofs. Skewed cones can also be found in nature, such as the shape of a pine cone or the spiral pattern of a snail's shell.