Is it possible to love math and hate physics?

In summary, it is likely that you do not like physics as much as you thought you did. Physics is a difficult subject, and it can be difficult to understand the concepts for those who are not used to precise statements. However, physics is useful for those who want to understand the origins of mathematical concepts.
Atoweha
I am a mechanical engineering student and I have realized that i do not like physics as much as i though i did. I seem to have a brain freeze everytime i start a physics problem. I only did a degree with physics because my mom is a physics teacher.
I don't mind math and i love finance, but i seem to hate physics. In Engineering, people say that they hate it because every problem seems like a math problems to them, for me, i hate it because every problem seems to be a physics problem, i don't mind the math...?!
I am taking fluid mechanics and thermo dynamics and just plain on dynamics and it all seems like physics brain fry!
So is it possible to love math and hate physics at the same time?

Physics news on Phys.org
it is, but it is wise to try to recover from that state. math is basically physics made precise. thus raw physics is hard to understand for those of us used to precise statements. but physics is useful for those of us wanting to understand where the ideas for the math came from. what i really hate is a lecture from a physicist who takes all the physics for granted and tries to show off how mathematical he can be. he teaches me nothing that way. i don't to hear about differentiable manifolds and tensors from a physicist, i want to hear why manifolds and tensors are the right model for the physics.

Have a chat with "two quant" and other "finance gurus" here about the best courses you might take for finance! I'd guess... as much programming as possible, but that's just a guess... Given that you love it (how?), and given the wages, it seems like a no brainer. When you get a job, buy your mum good presents, teachers don't earn what they deserve. As you don't actually love Maths then I'm not sure mahwonk's advice is for you...

It's definitely possible and from what I've seen, fairly common. Physics seems pretty loose in comparison to math and that don't fly with someone that needs tight structure. I've seen way more people change to math from physics than the opposite. The reason was usually to meet the needs of that structure.

IDK, i have always found math less annoying than Physics. I've acctually walked into a math class with a smile whereas physics has always been like, damn now i got physics.
Maybe its just my parents, they have always sort off instilled in me that if i didnt to engineering i would be a worthless human. Which is why i have pushed through Phys 1, 2 ,3 and instrumental physics without enjoying any of them.

No! :mad:

Physics is just applied math. Hand and glove.

Love math and hate physics?? Not likely, unless the math skills aren't up to par for the level of physics you are doing.

I don't discount the possibility...

I prefer mathematics to physics, although I do enjoy studying both.

Of course it is, many of my math major friends are either completely disinterested in physics or put off by it because they think physicists are messy and unrigorous. One guy said he thinks educational subjects are games, he isn't interested in playing the game of physics but he loves the game of pure mathematics so that's what he does.

Related to Is it possible to love math and hate physics?

1. Can someone really love math but hate physics?

Yes, it is possible for someone to have a strong passion for math but not enjoy physics. Math and physics are distinct fields with different concepts and approaches, so it is common for individuals to have a preference for one over the other.

2. How can someone love numbers but dislike the laws of physics?

While both math and physics involve numbers, they use them in different ways. Math deals with abstract concepts and pure logic, while physics applies mathematical principles to understand the physical world. Someone may enjoy the theoretical and logical aspects of math but not be as interested in the practical applications of physics.

3. Is it possible to excel in math but struggle with physics?

Yes, it is possible to have a strong aptitude for math but struggle with physics. Each subject requires different skills and ways of thinking. Someone may be good at solving equations and manipulating numbers, but have difficulty applying those skills to real-world situations in physics.

4. Can someone hate physics but still appreciate its importance?

Yes, someone can dislike physics but still recognize its importance in understanding the natural world. Physics plays a crucial role in many scientific fields and has led to countless technological advancements. While someone may not enjoy studying it, they can still appreciate its contributions to our understanding of the universe.

5. How can someone love math but not enjoy its applications in physics?

Math has many applications in different fields, including physics. However, someone may not enjoy applying math to physics problems because it requires a different approach and may involve more complex concepts. They may prefer the abstract and theoretical aspects of math rather than its practical applications in physics.