Is it possible to get a equivalent capacitance from S parameters?

In summary, the conversation discussed a simulation model created using HFSS and the results obtained from it. The model has an equivalent circuit and the speaker ran the model to get a pair of solutions for frequency vs response, similar to S parameters. They asked if it was possible to calculate the capacitance for the entire circuit using these results. Their professor suggested using ADS to find a capacitance, but was unsure of the exact method. The conversation ended with a discussion about the similarity between the 5 parameter circuit's frequency response and a 1 parameter equivalent.
boladore
Hi there,
first, I apologize for my poor English.

I made a simulation model and get results from HFSS
1.PNG

Model has a equivalent circuit like that.(1)
I run that model and get pair of solutions 'frequency vs response' like S parameter for each frequency.
So, with these results, is it possible to get (or calculate) a capacitance for whole circuit?(2)

My professor said, "Maybe you can get a capacitance from known values using ADS, but I can't not exactly say to you how to get a capacitance. but there may be another methods to do it."

regards

Engineering news on Phys.org
Look at the frequency response of the 5 parameter circuit. Does it look similat to a 1 parameter equivalent. If yes, you have your answer. If no, then it sounds not possible. Correct?

Related to Is it possible to get a equivalent capacitance from S parameters?

1. Can S parameters be used to calculate equivalent capacitance?

Yes, S parameters can be used to calculate the equivalent capacitance of a circuit. This is because S parameters describe the relationship between the voltage and current at the ports of a circuit, which can be used to calculate the equivalent capacitance.

2. What is the formula for calculating equivalent capacitance from S parameters?

The formula for calculating equivalent capacitance from S parameters is Ceq = 1/(ω^2 * |S21|^2), where Ceq is the equivalent capacitance and ω is the angular frequency of the circuit.

3. Can S parameters be used for non-linear circuits?

No, S parameters are only accurate for linear circuits. For non-linear circuits, other parameters such as Y or Z parameters should be used to calculate the equivalent capacitance.

4. Are there any limitations to using S parameters for calculating equivalent capacitance?

Yes, there are some limitations to using S parameters for calculating equivalent capacitance. These include the assumption that the circuit is linear, the accuracy of the measurement equipment, and the frequency range over which the S parameters are measured.

5. How can I use S parameters to design a circuit with a specific equivalent capacitance?

To design a circuit with a specific equivalent capacitance, you can use the formula Ceq = 1/(ω^2 * |S21|^2) to calculate the required S parameters. Then, you can use these S parameters to design a circuit that will have the desired equivalent capacitance.