Is it possible to do a physics PhD and still have a social life?

In summary: As long as you don't get sucked into the "more work hours = better" fallacy you'll be fine. There are very few people in this world who can get more real work done in 80 hours per week than in 40 hours per week (or rather 30..), and I've yet to see one of those below the senior faculty level. Nevertheless, many PhD candidates spend insane amounts of time on their work, simply because they are unable to schedule well and work /effectively/[1]. If you actively work on your work productivity (that means actively observing yourself, and making sure every hour you spend on work counts) you can do an excellent PhD with a healthy social life (or other hobbies, like sports) at the side.
jeebs
I'm starting my PhD a few weeks from now. I'm just wondering if I will likely have any free time to enjoy myself, or whether the next 3 years are going to be a long, hard battle with hardly enough time to pause for breath?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm doing a PhD in physics. My schedule does tend to revolve around my work, and I do work long hours more often than some people would probably find acceptable. However, I enjoy the work, and that's what's important.

I'm easily able to find time to play the guitar and train in Judo regularly. I volunteer at a local community radio station once a week as well. I try to go out and get a beer with a few friends at the end of the week. I don't drink heavily though. All in all, I consider this a pretty good social life. Some might not, but I'm fairly happy.

Whether your social life is successful in grad school really comes down to your personality, your adviser's personality, your research group's dynamic, and what you're looking for in your life outside of work.

As long as you don't get sucked into the "more work hours = better" fallacy you'll be fine. There are very few people in this world who can get more real work done in 80 hours per week than in 40 hours per week (or rather 30..), and I've yet to see one of those below the senior faculty level. Nevertheless, many PhD candidates spend insane amounts of time on their work, simply because they are unable to schedule well and work /effectively/[1]. If you actively work on your work productivity (that means actively observing yourself, and making sure every hour you spend on work counts) you can do an excellent PhD with a healthy social life (or other hobbies, like sports) at the side.

[1] Not a big surprise, considering they most likely never learned it. Working on your own, independently, requires a very very different skillset than what you need to excel in high school or college. It's unreasonable to expect a person to simply have it out of nothing.

Three years? If you plan on doing a physics PhD, something that usually takes 5-8 years, in 3 then yes, you will have no social life.

MissSilvy said:
Three years? If you plan on doing a physics PhD, something that usually takes 5-8 years, in 3 then yes, you will have no social life.

well 3 years seems to be the norm here in the UK. That's how many years my studentship lasts for anyway. Whether that means we cram the same amount of work into 3 years as you might in 5-8 years, or that means our PhD's are inferior to yours, I don't know.

All I know is, towards the end of my 4 year undergraduate/masters degree, the s**t really hit the fan and I had to work my fingers to the bone with almost zero time to spare for fun. God help me if that's what the next 3 years is going to be like...

@MissSilvy, I think the difference is that in the UK, people already have Master's degrees. In the US, we have to pass quals and things like that in the first 2 years. Our PhD program is usually integrated in with a lower level graduate degree along the way.

I think the time spent doing pure research in US schools is roughly 3 years, although it can go on for another year or two depending on if the given PhD program will fund you that long.

jeebs said:
well 3 years seems to be the norm here in the UK.

It's my understanding that this typically has to do with where you start in the UK. It's my understanding that at the end of an undergraduate degree in the UK (and many other European countries) you really have the equivalent of a US Master's degree, and start with the research aspects of the PhD much sooner. In the US, specialization (or "tracking") begins much later, and there's more general education credits in the undergraduate degree, thus, in the US, your first year or two of your graduate degree involves more coursework.

I'd think you could still have a life. While my grad degree is from a US institution, I think it was my most fun period of life. I second G01:

G01 said:
Whether your social life is successful in grad school really comes down to your personality, your adviser's personality, your research group's dynamic, and what you're looking for in your life outside of work.

Related to Is it possible to do a physics PhD and still have a social life?

1. Can I balance a physics PhD program and a social life?

Yes, it is possible to have a social life while pursuing a physics PhD. While a PhD program can be demanding and time-consuming, it is important to maintain a healthy work-life balance. This can be achieved through good time management and prioritizing activities.

2. Will I have time for hobbies and other interests outside of my PhD program?

It is important to make time for hobbies and other interests outside of your PhD program. This can help reduce stress and prevent burnout. It is important to prioritize and manage your time effectively to make room for these activities.

3. How can I maintain a social life while working on my PhD thesis?

Maintaining a social life during the thesis writing process can be challenging, but it is not impossible. It is important to plan and schedule time for social activities, even if it means taking a break from your work. It is also important to communicate with friends and family about your workload and the importance of having some time for yourself.

4. Will my social life be limited to other students in my PhD program?

No, your social life does not have to be limited to other students in your PhD program. It is important to have a diverse network of friends and colleagues, both inside and outside of academia. This can help you gain new perspectives and maintain a healthy work-life balance.

5. How can I make time for a social life while also meeting the demands of my PhD program?

Making time for a social life while meeting the demands of a PhD program requires good time management skills. It is important to prioritize tasks and make a schedule that allows for both work and social activities. It may also be helpful to set boundaries and limit the amount of time spent on work, allowing for more time to socialize and recharge.