Is it possible for photons to display in the center of room?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of photons centering themselves in mid-air in the center of a room and multiplying while still being somewhat centered. However, it is not possible for photons to center themselves or replicate, as they are fundamental particles. The closest device that can create more photons is a photomultiplier, but it does so using an external energy supply. The concept of stimulated emission in lasers is also mentioned. Overall, the question is deemed impossible and unclear, with a discussion on the trend of rushing to answer without clarifying the question.
Malaxus
Is it possible for photons to center themselves in mid-air in the center of a room, multiplying and change directions while still being somewhat centered in the room? I have tried looking this up in Google, but all I got were articles which I did not have enough time to read. If this is the wrong place to put this thread, please excuse my fault.

Thank you for all whom reply.

Science news on Phys.org
A photon can be anywhere, (arguably), but it can't replicate, it's a fundamental particle.
When considered as particle (as opposed to a wave), it's trajectory can be altered by strong gravitational fields.

rootone said:
A photon can be anywhere, (arguably), but it can't replicate, it's a fundamental particle.
What would happen if someone somehow is able to replicate the photon?

I'm not sure what your concept of replication is.
A photon is a small 'quanta' of electromagnetic energy, it is what it is.
Photons cannot generate more photons if that what you mean.

rootone said:
I'm not sure what your concept of replication is.
A photon is a small 'quanta' of electromagnetic energy, it is what it is.
Photons cannot generate more photons if that what you mean.
Ohhh okay, I see. Thank you for making it clear! :D

Closest to what you are talking about could be a device called a photomultiplier.
It can absorb a few photons and then use this to trigger a process which creates several more photons , but the new photons are being created from an external energy supply to the device.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photomultiplier

Malaxus said:
Is it possible for photons to center themselves in mid-air in the center of a room, multiplying and change directions while still being somewhat centered in the room?

Not without some substantial help from various electro-optic devices.

A photon cannot "center itself" any where because it cannot stand still. A photon is always traveling at "c", the speed of light.

rootone said:
Closest to what you are talking about could be a device called a photomultiplier.
It can absorb a few photons and then use this to trigger a process which creates several more photons , but the new photons are being created from an external energy supply to the device.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photomultiplier

Er.. wait, hang on. A "photomultipler", contrary to its name, is not a device that makes more photons!

It is a vacuum tube in which a single photon triggers an electron cascade via secondary emission. This electron cascade then is recorded as an electrical signal. It is essential to make the device sensitive down to a level of single photons. It doesn't generate more photons.

Coming back to the original question, I'm surprised that some people actually understood what was being asked. I read it three times, and I still don't understand what this "center themselves" means and the rest of the post.

Zz.

Likes davenn and Merlin3189
I think no matter the interpretation of the question, it is safe to say the answer is "no".

Likes xAxis
ZapperZ said:
Er.. wait, hang on. A "photomultipler", contrary to its name, is not a device that makes more photons!

Zz.
Oh OK, I thought it acted more or less directly as an amplifier of low level light and some other device converted the result into an electrical signal.

ZapperZ said:
Coming back to the original question, I'm surprised that some people actually understood what was being asked. I read it three times, and I still don't understand what this "center themselves" means and the rest of the post.

Zz.
Unfortunately there is trend to hurry with answer before trying to clarify what the question is. :smile:
It's manifested in general but sometimes even on this forum.

If photons could somehow center themselves in the middle of a room you wouldn't be able to see them because they wouldn't be traveling to your eye.

Related to Is it possible for photons to display in the center of room?

1. Can photons really display in the center of a room?

Yes, photons can display in the center of a room. Photons are particles of light that can travel in any direction and can be emitted or absorbed by objects. This means that photons can appear in the center of a room if they are emitted by a source of light or if they are reflected or scattered by objects in the room.

2. How can photons display in the center of a room if they have no mass?

Photons do not have mass, but they do have energy and momentum. This allows them to interact with matter and be affected by forces such as gravity. Photons can also be trapped or reflected by objects, causing them to appear in the center of a room.

3. Is it possible for photons to display in a vacuum?

Yes, photons can display in a vacuum. In fact, photons are often used to create a vacuum in scientific experiments. In a vacuum, photons can travel freely without interacting with any particles, which can enhance their visibility and display.

4. Can humans see photons displaying in the center of a room?

Humans cannot see individual photons with the naked eye, but we can observe their effects and the light they produce. For example, we can see the visible light spectrum, which is made up of different wavelengths of photons that our eyes can detect.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the display of photons in the center of a room?

Yes, there are many factors that can affect the display of photons in the center of a room. These can include the properties of the light source, the materials and objects in the room, the presence of other forms of energy, and external factors such as air currents or magnetic fields.