Is it ok to feed your cat with raw egg yolk?

• Thread starter Monsterboy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Egg
In summary, it is generally safe to feed cats raw egg yolk, as the risk of salmonella infection is low. However, it is recommended to properly store and handle the eggs to prevent contamination. It is also preferable to have more than one kitten as they benefit from socialization and can develop emotional problems if raised as a lone kitten. The risk of salmonella in eggs has been a concern, but measures have been taken to prevent contamination and make them safe for consumption.
Monsterboy
Is it ok to feed your cat with raw egg yolk ? What are the chances of catching salmonella? Are kittens more vulnerable? I was told that they have natural immunity , is that true ?

Is it preferable to have 2 or more kittens rather than one so that they can play with each other and not get bored ? Can a lone kitten grow up to be a normal adult ?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is unusual for kittens to not come in a litter. It is my experienced (queens were $600, toms $300 bred true Manx, Burmese, Siamese, Frenchy manx-siamese cross) opinion that a kitten should remain in the litter until about six weeks for potty training, socialization and some personality development. If you can afford to have two, that would be good, ideally NOT litter mates.

One of our very most enjoyable kittens came as a runt lone survivor of a failed delivery. It was hand raised ab initio and nested in an arm sling. Neutered he was not well potty trained, was very neurotic but highly socialized.

The risk of salmonella is very low under any circumstance.

Likes Medicol
Monsterboy said:
Can a lone kitten grow up to be a normal adult ?
http://www.catbehaviorassociates.com/adopting-a-kitten-make-it-a-double/
Lone kittens are more prone to emotional problems. There's an animal adoption agency here in San Diego that takes in feral litters and finds them homes, and they won't adopt out single kittens unless you already have a cat for them to be friends with.

Likes Monsterboy
The risk of salmonella infection is pretty low for even raw eggs, assuming they were properly stored. Cats are also a little bit more resistant to infections like salmonella, being evolved as scavengers. That said, I still wouldn't risk it if you can avoid it.

Cats are social animals, especially when they're young, contrary to popular belief. I volunteer a lot at an animal shelter where I sometimes help socialize the kittens (socialization of the kittens is going well, they currently are strongly in favor of the welfare state and are already beginning to consider the merits of wealth redistribution) and they turn out much better when they get a lot of contact with other kittens. Otherwise they grow up and they're more reserved around humans and territorial in general, and that can result in spraying problems and hostility to unfamiliar cats (such as if you ever want to get a new one or have a neighbor cat that likes to hunt in your yard). Having more than one cat makes them more inclined to use the litter boxes (since they cover feces instinctually as a territory thing) and generally results in them being more active, but they don't necessarily all need to be from the same litter.

Likes Danger
There's nothing wrong with raw eggs. Eggs are sterile, and only become contaminated if handled improperly. The risk is extremely low even for humans of catching anything from a raw egg. In most parts of the world, eggs are not even refrigerated and have a shelf life of weeks.

We in the USA have a huge phobia of raw foods, which is mostly unfounded. If eggs were full of bacteria, do you really think chicken embryos would be able to develop? That's like thinking a woman's uterus is full of dangerous bacteria.

dipole said:
There's nothing wrong with raw eggs. Eggs are sterile, and only become contaminated if handled improperly. The risk is extremely low even for humans of catching anything from a raw egg. In most parts of the world, eggs are not even refrigerated and have a shelf life of weeks.

We in the USA have a huge phobia of raw foods, which is mostly unfounded. If eggs were full of bacteria, do you really think chicken embryos would be able to develop? That's like thinking a woman's uterus is full of dangerous bacteria.
It was once thought that inside of the chicken egg was sterile, the shell protecting the contents from any kind of contamination. Dr. St. Louis and colleagues discovered in the late 1980s that a bacteria, Salmonella Enteritidis (SE), could indeed get inside the egg through the hen's reproductive tract. Since this discovery, researchers, egg producers, and government agencies have worked hard to implement and maintain practices to ensure that the hen does not have the ability to shed SE in the egg.
http://www.incredibleegg.org/egg-facts/eggcyclopedia/s/salmonella

Related to Is it ok to feed your cat with raw egg yolk?

1. Is it safe to feed my cat raw egg yolk?

Feeding your cat raw egg yolk is not recommended. Raw egg yolks may contain bacteria such as Salmonella and E. coli which can be harmful to your cat's health. It is best to cook the egg yolk before giving it to your cat.

2. Can raw egg yolk be a part of my cat's regular diet?

No, raw egg yolk should not be a regular part of your cat's diet. While it may provide some nutrients, it is not a balanced meal for cats and can pose a risk to their health. It is important for cats to have a balanced and complete diet specially formulated for their nutritional needs.

3. Are there any benefits to feeding my cat raw egg yolk?

There is no significant nutritional benefit to feeding your cat raw egg yolk. In fact, raw egg yolks can interfere with the absorption of certain vitamins and minerals, leading to potential nutrient deficiencies in your cat. It is best to stick to a balanced and complete diet for your cat's health.

4. Can raw egg yolk cause health problems for my cat?

Yes, raw egg yolk can potentially cause health problems for your cat. As mentioned before, raw egg yolks may contain harmful bacteria that can lead to food poisoning and other health issues. It is best to avoid feeding your cat raw egg yolk to prevent these risks.

5. Are there any alternatives to raw egg yolk for my cat?

Yes, there are many alternatives to raw egg yolk that are safe and nutritious for your cat. Some options include cooked egg yolks, lean meats, and specially formulated commercial cat food. It is important to consult with your veterinarian before making any changes to your cat's diet.