Is it necessary to have two sequences for convergence or divergence to occur?

In summary: When do you call it that the sequence is converging or diverging?When the sequence is getting closer to a real number as the limit. What happens when series/sequence converges/divergence?The sequences get closer and closer to the real number as the limit.
pairofstrings

Homework Statement

A bounded sequence need not be convergent

Can you show me an illustration which shows a sequence that is convergent?
I don't understand when if lim n ---> infinity sn = l, the sequence sn converges to l or {sn}. Now what is l ?

My attempt or understanding of the convergence of sequence or series is similar to that of curve tracing. which I think is wrong. please tell me why are we performing root's test or ratio test and other test on the sequence? If it's to find whether or not the series is convergent then please explain what convergence is. Please tell me how curve tracing is different from convergence and divergence. I am getting confused between curve tracing and convergence.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
(-1)^n

lswtech said:
(-1)^n

What does it mean when the above series is said to converge. Can you draw me a figure?

A bounded sequence need not be convergent : (-1)^n is an example - it is bounded within 1 and -1 ( abs((-1)^n))<1 ) while it is not convergent.

Series is just summation of sequences, say , Sn = 1+1/2^2+1/3^2+...+1/n^2 . Say, in fact, lim n-> infinity Sn = pi^2/6.

When we say something to be converge, your understanding using a curve sketching is OK. Consider 1/n. It is a sequence (not a series as series is summation of sequences!) and with n getting bigger and bigger, it turns closer and closer to 0. I don't know whether you have heard the epsilon-delta proofs, and it would be more formal to describe the things above.

But pay attention that Series/Sequence are just taking their values at integers and when we are talking about limits, we are talking about positive infinity only while Functions could take on any values.

Wish you love maths!

lswtech said:
A bounded sequence need not be convergent : (-1)^n is an example - it is bounded within 1 and -1 ( abs((-1)^n))<1 ) while it is not convergent.

Series is just summation of sequences, say , Sn = 1+1/2^2+1/3^2+...+1/n^2 . Say, in fact, lim n-> infinity Sn = pi^2/6.

When we say something to be converge, your understanding using a curve sketching is OK. Consider 1/n. It is a sequence (not a series as series is summation of sequences!) and with n getting bigger and bigger, it turns closer and closer to 0. I don't know whether you have heard the epsilon-delta proofs, and it would be more formal to describe the things above.

But pay attention that Series/Sequence are just taking their values at integers and when we are talking about limits, we are talking about positive infinity only while Functions could take on any values.

Wish you love maths!

I have attached a picture from wikipedia on sequences.
Now, my understanding so far, if correct, is that the summation of these sequences (blue dots) with another sequence is a series. Now, my question is how is this resultant series is said to be converging? Can you please draw me a curve?

Attachments

• 512px-Cauchy_sequence_illustration2.svg.png
    512px-Cauchy_sequence_illustration2.svg.png
    7.8 KB · Views: 433
oh yes I understand your question just now.
The pic you attached from Wiki is an example of simple sequences only.

Pay attention to the fact that, a series is also a sequence. The same rule applys. Technically, when we are talking about "convergence", then we need to have some real L that lim n->inf Sn=L

Example of series that are convergent: 1/1+1/2!+1/3!+1/4!+...+1/n!
and 1/1^3+1/2^3+1/3^3+...+1/n^3

The above two series are the sum of 1/n! and 1/n^3 respectively.

Example of series that are NOT convergent: 1+1+1+1+1+...
and 1/1+1/2+1/3+...+1/n

Reason for 1+1+1+... is intuitive and for the second, let it to be Sn. Then S2n-Sn>1/2. It contradicts limS2n=limSn and thus limit does not exist.

Just to be simple - Series are sequences in nature!

lswtech said:
Example of series that are convergent: 1/1+1/2!+1/3!+1/4!+...+1/n!
and 1/1^3+1/2^3+1/3^3+...+1/n^3

The above two series are the sum of 1/n! and 1/n^3 respectively.

Example of series that are NOT convergent: 1+1+1+1+1+...
and 1/1+1/2+1/3+...+1/n

Just to be simple - Series are sequences in nature!

Can you explain to me the meaning of convergence and divergence from mathematical point of view?

I want to know if it's compulsory to have two sequences for them to converge or diverge.
Tell me if series also converges/diverges or not?
When do you call it that the sequence is converging or diverging?
What happens when series/sequence converges/divergence? Can you show me a diagram?

Last edited:
pairofstrings said:
Can you explain to me the meaning of convergence and divergence from mathematical point of view?

I want to know if it's compulsory to have two sequences for them to converge or diverge.

It doesn't make sense to talk about the convergence or divergence of a pair of sequences really. Each sequence on its own either converges or diverges.

Given a list of numbers, you want to know if the numbers get really close to a single number. For example, the list [itex]1,\frac{1}{2},\frac{1}{3},\frac{1}{4},\frac{1}{5},...[/itex] gets really close to 0. You may also think that it gets really close to .01 as well. The key to a sequence converging to a number is that it can get as close as you want to the number it converges to. For example, I might demand that the sequence be within .00001 of the number it converges to. Well, as long as I start picking numbers like [itex] \frac{1}{100000}[/itex] or [itex]\frac{1}{100001}[/itex], the sequence is always within .00001 of 0. But it isn't within .00001 of .01, and no matter how much farther along the sequence I go, I can never find numbers that come within .00001 of .01. So the sequence does NOT converge to .01. It does converge to 0 though, because no matter how small of a number you give me, I can find a point along the sequence after which the numbers in the sequence are always that close to 0.

Tell me if series also converges/diverges or not?

Everytime you see a series, you're just looking at a sequence in disguise. The series [itex] \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{2}^n = 1+\frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{4}+...[/itex] is really just the sequence [itex]1, \frac{3}{2}, \frac{7}{4},...[/itex]. You say the series converges if its associated sequence does.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Is it necessary to have two sequences for convergence or divergence to occur?

1. What does it mean when a sequence is convergent?

A convergent sequence is one in which the terms of the sequence approach a single fixed value as the index of the sequence increases. This fixed value is known as the limit of the sequence.

2. How is convergence determined in a sequence?

Convergence in a sequence can be determined by checking if the terms of the sequence get closer and closer to the limit value as the index increases. If this is the case, then the sequence is convergent. Convergence can also be determined by using mathematical tests and theorems, such as the Monotone Convergence Theorem or the Cauchy Convergence Criterion.

3. What happens if a sequence is not convergent?

If a sequence is not convergent, it is considered to be divergent. This means that the terms of the sequence do not approach a single fixed value and may either approach infinity or oscillate between different values. Divergent sequences do not have a limit.

4. Can a sequence have more than one limit?

No, a sequence can only have one limit. If the terms of a sequence approach two different values, then the sequence is not convergent. However, there are special cases where a sequence may have a limit at infinity or may oscillate between two values, but these are not considered to be multiple limits.

5. What is the importance of convergence in mathematics?

Convergence is an important concept in mathematics as it allows for the study and analysis of infinite sequences and series. It also plays a crucial role in calculus and real analysis, as well as in various fields of science and engineering. Understanding convergence is essential for solving mathematical problems and making accurate predictions based on numerical data.