Is It Legal to Replicate Web Content for Preservation?

In summary, it is generally not okay to copy copyrighted content and put it on your own website without permission. You should e-mail the webmaster first to ask for permission.
aychamo
Hey guys;

I've a question for you all. Say I find a webpage that someone wrote, and it may or may not have some copyright. This isn't like a published book or anything, it's just a text of some junk.

Say I like the text, and want people to be able to access it. If I put a link to it on my webpage, that is fine. But what if their page goes down for whatever reason and people can no longer read that link? (This has happened in the past, I used to have a website with a ton of content and I deleted it and some people got mad at me.) Is it ok if I duplicate the page and host it on my webserver? Or to copy the content and put it on a new page, as long as I give credit to the author?

I would never say that I wrote the stuff, but that the author is [authors name]. I could even put "Reproduced here without permission." I could even put a link to the original page. I just fear the content could be lost at some point.

I ask, because initially I think this wouldn't be right, but at the same time I think about scientific papers, where they quote and use data from others and just put a reference to it. But then again they are just referecing it. But what about Google's cache system? They have copies of all kinds of webpages with copyrighted content.

So what's the deal? I'm not out to be malicious, I just don't want to risk losing data or whatever. What do yall think?

Physics news on Phys.org
The internet does not have a code of ethics. ;)

Honestly, I would have no clue.

I would just add where it is from, as well. I would this because if it is still up, people can still check and verify that it is accurate.

aychamo said:
Say I find a webpage that someone wrote, and it may or may not have some copyright. This isn't like a published book or anything, it's just a text of some junk.

It almost certainly will have copyright, just like a published book. Some webmasters are very serious about copyright, and you might find that their first response is a bill for several thousand dollars (although whether they can make you pay it is another matter). You might be interested in the following forum:

http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum44/

Of course you may be right, in that you would be doing people a favour if you made a copy of some of the content of a site. In that case, if you really think that the webmaster would be happy with you doing this then why don't you just ask them.

aychamo said:
Hey guys;

I've a question for you all. Say I find a webpage that someone wrote, and it may or may not have some copyright. This isn't like a published book or anything, it's just a text of some junk.

Say I like the text, and want people to be able to access it. If I put a link to it on my webpage, that is fine. But what if their page goes down for whatever reason and people can no longer read that link? (This has happened in the past, I used to have a website with a ton of content and I deleted it and some people got mad at me.) Is it ok if I duplicate the page and host it on my webserver? Or to copy the content and put it on a new page, as long as I give credit to the author?

I would never say that I wrote the stuff, but that the author is [authors name]. I could even put "Reproduced here without permission." I could even put a link to the original page. I just fear the content could be lost at some point.

I ask, because initially I think this wouldn't be right, but at the same time I think about scientific papers, where they quote and use data from others and just put a reference to it. But then again they are just referecing it. But what about Google's cache system? They have copies of all kinds of webpages with copyrighted content.

So what's the deal? I'm not out to be malicious, I just don't want to risk losing data or whatever. What do yall think?
I would e-mail the webmaster first and ask for permission to mirror their site. Before you do anything, ask for their permission first and save their e-mail. Assume everything is copyrighted that way you don't get into trouble.

Okay, I googled copyright and found this pretty informative
documentation on website permissions under copyrights and fair use. I haven't read the entire document.
You may want to have a look through at this. Cheers
http://fairuse.stanford.edu/Copyright_and_Fair_Use_Overview/chapter6/index.html

Last edited:

Related to Is It Legal to Replicate Web Content for Preservation?

1. What is the purpose of web page copyrights?

The purpose of web page copyrights is to protect the original content and design of a website from being used or reproduced by others without permission. It gives the creator of the website exclusive rights to control how their work is used and distributed.

2. How do I know if a web page is copyrighted?

A web page is automatically copyrighted once it is created and published. Look for a copyright notice on the website, usually found at the bottom of the page. It may also have a copyright symbol (©) and the year the website was created.

3. Can I use copyrighted material from a web page for my own website?

No, you should not use copyrighted material from a web page without permission from the owner. This includes images, text, videos, and any other original content. Using copyrighted material without permission is a violation of intellectual property rights and can result in legal consequences.

4. Are there any exceptions to using copyrighted material from a web page?

Yes, there are some exceptions to using copyrighted material, such as fair use. Fair use allows for the limited use of copyrighted material for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, or research. However, the use must be transformative and not impact the potential market for the original work.

5. How can I protect my own web page from copyright infringement?

You can protect your own web page by including a copyright notice on your website, registering your website with the U.S. Copyright Office, and using watermarks or digital rights management to prevent others from reproducing your content. It is also important to monitor your web page for any potential infringement and take action if necessary.