Is it Impossible to get a 3.0 GPA at New Mexico Tech?

In summary, a GPA of 3.0 or higher is possible at New Mexico Tech. However, it is very hard to get a GPA of 3.0 or higher and if a GPA of 3.0 or higher is not achieved, a scholarship may be lost.
sheldonrocks97
Gold Member
I am an out of state applicant who has just accepted admission at New Mexico Tech. I really want to go to NMT and I am very excited for the fall, but I heard that is a very hard school. I was just wondering is a 3.0 GPA is possible to obtain, because if I don't have a 3.0 or higher then I will lose my scholarship. Anyone who goes to NMT I was just wondering if you could give me some advice on the curriculum there and also student life. I need all the help I can get!

Thanks for you help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you apply as a transfer or are a freshman? I am curious because I just put in my transfer application there with a 3.3 and 14 units :P

TheKracken said:
Did you apply as a transfer or are a freshman? I am curious because I just put in my transfer application there with a 3.3 and 14 units :P

I applied as a freshmen, because I am a senior in HS, but I will be transferring in with Physics I, Calc I and II, Chemistry I and II, a programming class, an Engineering Design class, 2 Freshmen English Composition classes, and 6 humanities/arts/social science classes. Not counting a D I got last semester I have a 3.404 college GPA and 52 college credits.

My HS gpa is 3.66 UNW and 4.03 W as of 2nd semester of junior year.

I doubt anyone here goes to NMT. I have heard that this school is pretty hard. One of my friends actually flunked out there, but he also didn't put in the necessary effort to achieve the grades to stay in. If you work at it I am sure you can achieve whatever grades you want. There has to people that have gotten a 3.0 and above there, what is stopping you from being one of them? If you are not willing to invest the time to achieve those grades then why are you even going? Short answer is YES, you can get those grades if YOU are willing to put in the TIME and EFFORT.

Hi, I'm a student in the NMT physics dept. While it is definitely a challenging program (physics is one of the most difficult programs here and all of the programs are hard), it is by no means at an unattainable level. If you are willing to work hard, it is totally do-able. Take it from someone who works part time and takes a full course load here (18 chs) and still obtained a 3.9 GPA, YOU CAN DO IT. If you have an interest in astrophysics or atmospheric physics, the choice to come here is a no brainer. Great faculty, great resources (several observatories and national labs), and great opportunities (in PhD production from public schools, NMT ranks only behind Caltech and MIT) all at a ridiculous cost. I am a transplant from texas and I pay less to attend NMT than I would to attend a decent junior college in a major texan city. All I'm saying is that despite being secluded and small and inhabited by total nerds, choosing NMT is one of the best academic choices I have made.

Thanks SO much momakar! I am going into electrical engineering with a minor in mineral engineering and I am totally ready. Thanks for the advice! I might see you in the fall :)

Related to Is it Impossible to get a 3.0 GPA at New Mexico Tech?

1. What is the average GPA at New Mexico Tech?

The average GPA at New Mexico Tech is approximately 3.5.

2. Is it true that it is impossible to get a 3.0 GPA at New Mexico Tech?

No, it is not impossible to get a 3.0 GPA at New Mexico Tech. While it may be challenging, with hard work and dedication, it is achievable.

3. How difficult is it to maintain a 3.0 GPA at New Mexico Tech?

Maintaining a 3.0 GPA at New Mexico Tech requires consistent effort and dedication. The coursework at the university can be rigorous, but with proper time management and study habits, it is achievable.

4. Are there any tips for achieving a 3.0 GPA at New Mexico Tech?

Some tips for achieving a 3.0 GPA at New Mexico Tech include attending all classes, actively participating in discussions, seeking help from professors and tutors when needed, and staying organized and on top of assignments and studying.

5. Are there any resources available to help students achieve a 3.0 GPA at New Mexico Tech?

Yes, there are resources available to help students achieve a 3.0 GPA at New Mexico Tech. These include academic advising, tutoring services, and study groups. Additionally, professors and teaching assistants are available for one-on-one help and guidance.