Is it difficult for engineers to switch to mathematical fluid dynamics research?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of switching from numerical/applied research in engineering to more analytical/formal mathematical fluid dynamics research. The speaker also asks if anyone is working in mathematical fluid dynamics and provides some recommended texts on the subject. They mention that most current research focuses on computational aspects and the modeling of turbulent fluids. This is important for designing vehicles and analyzing the effects of combustion in devices like engines.
Bunsen
Hi guys,

I studied mechanical engineering and I am currently a graduate student (turbulence modeling).

I am interested in the more formal/mathematical aspects of fluid dynamics, which are mainly worked in mathematical faculties and I would like to know if someone knows/have an idea about how difficult is, for someone with an engineering background to switch from numerical/applied research to more analytical/formal mathematical fluid dynamics research.

There is someone there working in mathematical fluid dynamics?..

I thank you in advance for any answer...

Physics news on Phys.org
I have only peripheral exposure to mathematical fluids dynamics research- the current work I see has a lot of functional analysis and differential geometry. Some relevant texts you may wish to consult:

Pozrikidis "Introduction to theoretical and computational fluid mechanics", aimed at the advanced undergrad/grad
Holmes, Lumley, Berkooz, Rowley "Turbulence, Coherent structures, Dynamical systems and Symmetry"
Lions "Mathematical topics in fluid mechanics"
Galdi, Rannacher, Robertson and Turek "Hemodynamical flows: Modeling, Analysis and Simulation"

Most of the research these days is devoted to the computational aspects of fluid dynamics. Until recently, the flow of the so-called perfect fluids (inviscid and irrotational) was what could be handled computationally. Now, additional research has gone into modelling fluids with turbulence, which better simulates real-world fluids, like air and water. One of the goals is to match computationally the results which are usually obtained from model testing, either in a towing tank or a wind tunnel. Not only are aircraft and ships being modeled numerically, but as fuel economy becomes ever more important, all sorts of powered automotive vehicles are being designed numerically to minimize drag and noise.

Computational fluid dynamics is also used to model flows through devices like turbo-machinery, where there are the usual fluid flow problems which are analyzed, but with the addition of analyzing situations where combustion of fuels is present. These techniques have also been applied to conventional Otto and Diesel cycle engines as well.

Related to Is it difficult for engineers to switch to mathematical fluid dynamics research?

What is Mathematical Fluid Dynamics?

Mathematical Fluid Dynamics is a branch of applied mathematics that studies the motion of fluids (liquids and gases) using mathematical models and equations. It combines elements from physics, mathematics, and engineering to study the behavior of fluids in various scenarios.

What are some real-world applications of Mathematical Fluid Dynamics?

Mathematical Fluid Dynamics has many practical applications, including understanding and predicting weather patterns, designing efficient air and water transportation systems, and optimizing energy production from wind and water currents. It is also used in fields such as oceanography, aerospace engineering, and chemical engineering.

What are the main equations used in Mathematical Fluid Dynamics?

The equations used in Mathematical Fluid Dynamics depend on the type of fluid being studied and the assumptions made about its properties. Some common equations include the Navier-Stokes equations for incompressible fluids, the Euler equations for inviscid fluids, and the Bernoulli equation for steady, inviscid flow.

What is the difference between laminar and turbulent flow?

Laminar flow is characterized by smooth, orderly movement of fluid particles in a straight line. It occurs in low-viscosity fluids at low velocities. Turbulent flow, on the other hand, is chaotic and irregular, with fluid particles moving in unpredictable patterns. It occurs in high-viscosity fluids or at high velocities.

What are some current challenges in Mathematical Fluid Dynamics?

Some current challenges in Mathematical Fluid Dynamics include developing better numerical methods for solving the governing equations, understanding and predicting turbulence, and incorporating complex factors such as heat transfer and chemical reactions into fluid dynamics models. Another challenge is developing more accurate and efficient models for multi-phase flows, which involve the interaction of different types of fluids.