Is it better to learn from another student or from a textbook?

In summary: It's important to have a personal connection to the material in order to learn it properly. You can learn a great deal from a textbook, but it's also beneficial to have a conversation with a fellow student or professor to get their perspective on the material. Going through yourself gives you the advantage of being able to ask questions and get clarification on the material. It's also more efficient to learn from a textbook than to ask a student for help. It's important to have a personal connection to the material in order to learn it properly. You can learn a great deal from a textbook, but it's also beneficial to have a conversation with a fellow student or professor to get their perspective on the material. Going through yourself
pivoxa15
If you had the option of learning some material from a textbook or from another undergad student who has done the subject the previous year, which would you choose?

Or is it better do learn from the textbook and ask questions when it comes up?

Physics news on Phys.org
can't you manage doing both?
i mean i don't see how do you have here an option of exclusive 'or'.

Both is probably best. But I might get some false information from the student? ALthough interactive learning is best. If I can only choose one then which one?

well if he is an A's student then probably he knows something about the material, wether he knows all of it i don't know.
luckily, or unfortuanetly (depends on how do you see it) i still haven't yet taken help from real person, unless youre including internet forums.
but if you already get help like from the internet, then shouldn't you be less worried if the help is from a real person.
i mean in the internet no one assures you that the help is coming from a genuine place, but you asill ask for advice.
this question sounds silly. (-:

pivoxa15 said:
Both is probably best. But I might get some false information from the student? ALthough interactive learning is best. If I can only choose one then which one?

This is true, which is why it's important to think critically. Your learning should ideally come from your professor and TA, your textbook, and your fellow students. Rather than talking to students who've already taken the class, it's far better to learn the material alongside current students. When I was an undergrad, I got good grades largely because of my study groups.

loop quantum gravity said:
well if he is an A's student then probably he knows something about the material, wether he knows all of it i don't know.
luckily, or unfortuanetly (depends on how do you see it) i still haven't yet taken help from real person, unless youre including internet forums.
but if you already get help like from the internet, then shouldn't you be less worried if the help is from a real person.
i mean in the internet no one assures you that the help is coming from a genuine place, but you asill ask for advice.
this question sounds silly. (-:

If I was just asking someone a question than it's okay if it is a student or on an internet forum because I would have thought about the contents in the question. But I was thinking of learning something completely new either from another student or from a textbook. I don't think people here would teach me something from scratch and plus it would be too inefficient to do so, unless we are messenging each other but it would still be more difficult than learning from a text in this situation.

Last edited:
studnet - if its free...

go for the cheaper option...

Textbook.

Because you'll develop your way of understanding some things.

radou said:
Textbook.

Because you'll develop your way of understanding some things.

Agreed.

Although it might be slower, it's probably the best way.

JasonRox said:
Agreed.

Although it might be slower, it's probably the best way.

I know some people who achieve great results in some subjects, but I'll never ask them anything related to that very subject, because I know their way of thinking confuses me. It's not "advanced", it's just different.

Save time and energy.

Textbook because I can reread a page over and over for 30 minutes if I have to but I doubt I could convince any of my friends to repeat themselves for 30 minutes.

whoever explains simpler...

Both, you need to see how it is developed in a text then to ensure that you understand talk to another student. I learn more from my co-workers than from anything written by my employer.

Dr Transport said:
Both, you need to see how it is developed in a text then to ensure that you understand talk to another student. I learn more from my co-workers than from anything written by my employer.

We're talking about a high school student here.

University undergrad students actually.

Textbooks. You need to learn from the masters.

There is no reason that you cannot combine them all. There is a reason why we have an education system and not just textbooks.

JasonRox said:
We're talking about a high school student here.

Doesn't matter, you learn from both sources almost equally. Whether in High School, University, Graduate School or workforce, you learn from multiple sources constantly.

Dr Transport said:
Doesn't matter, you learn from both sources almost equally. Whether in High School, University, Graduate School or workforce, you learn from multiple sources constantly.

I found that I learned so much more when going through myself. I learned many valuable skills.

Maybe it's best to learn the material from scratch from a textbook than ask the student and people here about any questions I might have.

pivoxa15 said:
Maybe it's best to learn the material from scratch from a textbook than ask the student and people here about any questions I might have.

Personally, I think the best you'll ever get is someone you can have conversations with about the subjects you'll learning. You learn a lot this way. Because you're teaching (telling your friend), learning (listening), and having a good time (if you like it). I learn more when I teach someone. I see all the holes in my thought process.

I'm dying to have someone to converse with. For example, right now I just read about Homotopy and Path-Homotopy and going into the Fundamental Group of Topological Spaces, and I'm absolutely dying to converse with someone about ideas, neat things, problems, etc... Like, it kills me to do this all by myself sometimes.

it is better to learn than not to learn.

Related to Is it better to learn from another student or from a textbook?

What are the benefits of learning from another student?

Learning from another student can provide a different perspective and can help clarify concepts that may be confusing. It also allows for discussion and collaboration, which can enhance understanding and retention of information.

What are the advantages of learning from a textbook?

Textbooks provide a structured and comprehensive overview of a subject. They also allow for self-paced learning and the ability to refer back to information as needed. Additionally, textbooks are often written by experts in the field, providing reliable and accurate information.

How can learning from another student be more effective than learning from a textbook?

Learning from another student can be more effective in certain situations, such as when trying to understand complex or abstract concepts. By discussing and exchanging ideas with another student, it can lead to a deeper understanding and retention of the material.

In what situations is learning from a textbook more beneficial?

Learning from a textbook may be more beneficial when trying to gain a broad understanding of a subject, or when self-directed learning is preferred. Textbooks also allow for independent study and the ability to review information at one's own pace.

Can learning from another student and a textbook be combined for optimal learning?

Yes, combining learning from another student and a textbook can provide a well-rounded and comprehensive approach to learning. By utilizing both resources, you can gain different perspectives and reinforce your understanding of the material.