Is it a good idea to take Pre-Calculus In Summer School?

In summary: Taking it over the summer will also allow you to focus solely on the course without the added stress of other classes and commitments.In summary, the speaker has had difficulty passing Precalculus and is considering retaking it over the summer. They cite a lack of support from their previous instructor and their own laziness as reasons for failing. Despite being advised against it, they are determined to retake the course. Another person encourages them to take it as it will allow them to prove their understanding and focus solely on the course.
Bogrune
Hey everyone!
Sorry I haven't been online for a while, I had to catch up in my Literature course. Anyway, I took Precalculus twice here in college and didn't pass. The first time I took it was in Spring 2011, and I didn't pass because I blame my instructor for it, and I know it's a clichéd answer, but it's true. He only gave us two homework assingments throughout the semester, and he didn't even recommend us to get a textbook for his class, which made it impossible to study. Plus, he taught the course in a way as if we already knew everything about the material that he was about to teach us, such as Introductory Linear Algebra and basic Vector Anaysis. What the heck!??
The second time I took it, I had an istructor who was very gentle on her students, and she explained the material very thoroughly, but I blame myself for failing because I was stubborn and lazy because the course was simply boring for me after I already took it and failed it. I understood the material thoroughly, but again, I was being stubborn.
So I wanted to ask: is it a good idea for me to take Precalculus over the summer? I believe I can handle the four-week course, but both my school and Special-Ed. counselors think I shouldn't because of the fact that I'm taking Special Education, even though I told them repeatedly that I only have trouble with reading and sometimes writing, and not with quantitative reasoning.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes I think you should take it. It's one thing to believe you understand the material; it's quite another to prove it by taking and passing the class with a good grade.

Related to Is it a good idea to take Pre-Calculus In Summer School?

1. Is it beneficial to take Pre-Calculus in summer school?

It can be beneficial to take Pre-Calculus in summer school for students who want to get ahead in their studies or who need to retake the course for a better grade. Additionally, summer school courses are often shorter and more intense, allowing students to focus solely on the subject without the distractions of other classes.

2. Will taking Pre-Calculus in summer school help me in college?

Yes, taking Pre-Calculus in summer school can be helpful in preparing for college. Pre-Calculus is a foundational math course that is often required for college-level courses in math, science, and engineering. By taking it in summer school, students can get a head start on their college coursework and be better prepared for the rigors of higher education.

3. Are there any drawbacks to taking Pre-Calculus in summer school?

One potential drawback is that summer school courses may be more fast-paced and condensed, which can be challenging for some students. Additionally, if a student does not perform well in the course, it can negatively impact their overall GPA. It is important for students to carefully consider their readiness and commitment before enrolling in a summer school course.

4. Is it harder to learn Pre-Calculus in summer school compared to a regular school year?

This can vary depending on the individual student and their learning style. Some students may find the fast-paced and condensed nature of summer school to be more challenging, while others may thrive in this type of environment. It is important for students to assess their own learning needs and abilities before deciding if summer school is the best option for them.

5. Can I take Pre-Calculus in summer school if I have never taken a math class before?

It is not recommended to take Pre-Calculus in summer school if you have never taken a math class before. Pre-Calculus is an advanced math course that builds upon the concepts and skills learned in previous math classes. It is important for students to have a strong foundation in algebra and geometry before attempting Pre-Calculus. It is recommended to take Pre-Calculus during the regular school year after completing the necessary prerequisites.