Is it a Good Idea to Contact Researchers for Internship at National Lab?

In summary, the conversation is about someone who is planning to apply for an internship at a national lab and is seeking advice on how to increase their chances of getting accepted. The main concern is whether or not it is a good idea to contact researchers at the lab and if so, who to contact. One person advises against contacting specific individuals and suggests waiting until the application process begins. They also mention that the final decision will be made by people who are currently working at the lab.
brentd49
Hi, I am going to apply for an internship this summer at one of the national labs. I am wondering if anyone else from here has been accepted, so that I know how difficult is the competetion. Because I'd really like the internship, and I don't have a backup plan.

They didn't give any details on the website. Though they did mention that you should be aware of and interested in the research (which I am) at the national lab you are apply for. But they also mentioned that it is alright to contact the people working there. But is it really a good idea to start contacting researchers? If I put that in the application, it might seem as though I'm singling out individuals and that I wouldn't work with other people.

Comments? I want as close to certainty as possible that I'll get the internship.

Physics news on Phys.org
We are usually given a pool of applicants that may be suitable for the area that we work in. I guess it depends on the researcher really, if he/she want to be contacted by the student. The problem that I see on your end is to know who to contact, and when. If you contacted somebody too far up in the "food-chain", you may not get an answer. Besides, these are not the people you will be working with, and may not even be the people who decide who to pick. The people who will do the selection and the people you will work with are people like me, who are in the trenches doing stuff.

So unless you know for sure who you are targetting for, you may want to hold off on contacting specific individuals.

Zz.

I can understand your eagerness to secure an internship at a national lab. However, contacting researchers directly may not be the best approach. National labs typically have a formal application process in place, and contacting researchers may not necessarily increase your chances of being accepted. In fact, it may even create a negative impression if you come across as trying to gain an unfair advantage over other applicants.

I would suggest focusing on putting together a strong application that highlights your qualifications and interest in the research conducted at the national lab. Make sure to thoroughly read and understand the requirements and expectations for the internship, and tailor your application accordingly. Additionally, networking and connecting with individuals who have experience at the lab or in similar research areas could also be helpful in gaining insights and advice on the application process.

In terms of competition, it is difficult to predict how many applicants will be vying for the same internship. However, it is important to have a backup plan in case you are not selected. Consider applying to other internships or research opportunities to increase your chances of gaining valuable experience in your field.

Overall, it is not necessary to contact researchers directly for an internship at a national lab. Focus on presenting yourself as a strong candidate through your application and make use of networking and other resources to increase your chances of being selected. Best of luck in your application!

Related to Is it a Good Idea to Contact Researchers for Internship at National Lab?

1. What is an internship at a National Lab?

An internship at a National Lab is a program where individuals can gain hands-on experience and work on research projects in a professional laboratory setting. It is typically a short-term position and is designed to provide students or recent graduates with practical skills and knowledge in their field of study.

2. How do I find and apply for an internship at a National Lab?

To find and apply for an internship at a National Lab, you can search their website for current openings or contact the lab directly. Some National Labs also participate in internship programs through universities or government agencies. Be sure to carefully review the requirements and application process for each specific lab.

3. What are the benefits of doing an internship at a National Lab?

There are many benefits to doing an internship at a National Lab, including gaining hands-on experience in a professional research environment, developing new skills and knowledge, networking with experts in your field, and potentially receiving academic credit or financial compensation.

4. What types of internships are available at National Labs?

National Labs offer a variety of internships in different areas of research, including physics, chemistry, biology, engineering, computer science, and more. Some may also have opportunities in administrative or support roles. It is important to research and apply for internships that align with your interests and career goals.

5. What can I expect during an internship at a National Lab?

During an internship at a National Lab, you can expect to work on research projects under the guidance of experienced scientists and researchers. You may also have the opportunity to attend seminars, workshops, or networking events. The specific duties and expectations will vary depending on the lab and internship program.