Is Induction More Rigorous in First-Order Logic Than Higher-Order Logic?

In summary: To do this, we would need to generate all possible pairs of horses, and see if they all have the same color. This is essentially an induction problem.
MostlyHarmless
I understand how to construct a proof by induction. I've used it many times, for homework because it was clearly what the book wanted, but when I've tried it in a research setting, it's because I have so little control of the objects in working with. So it has become my impression that since induction is non constructive, when you are able to use it, it's a way of saying: "I don't know why it happens, but it always does."

It seems to me like induction is just really convincing. Of course, I'm wrong, I'm just trying to think about why I'm wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure what you mean by "induction is non constructive."

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=constructive+proof

It seems like induction is a way of getting arbitrarily many specific examples.

I don't know what you mean by "I don't know why it happens." It seems like induction is demonstrating that it happens because the case before it (or a few cases before it) happened, and there is a rule that tells you how to get to the next case.

Induction IS a constructive proof method.

Now, I used to have issues with induction too. It seems intuitively obvious that it holds, but I was never pleased with the lack of rigorous proof of why induction works. Now, that proof actually is available. It turns out that suitable definitions of the natural numbers will make induction a very easy result. (Other approach like the Peano axioms will make it an axiom). I suggest you take a look at set theory and how they define the natural numbers there. Induction will become very obvious. Another thing you can do is to axiomatically define the real numbers as a complete ordered field. Then you can construct the natural numbers as a certain subset of the reals. The construction will make it obvious why induction holds.

Suppose there's a chain of people

Person #0 - Person #1 - Person #2 - Person #3 - Person #4 - ...etc

Now, whenever person #n hears a secret, then he tells that secret to person #n+1. And if we know that person #0 heard a secret, then eventually all these persons would have heard that secret. This is basically induction, if ##P(n)## implies ##P(n+1)## and ##P(0)## then ##P## holds for all ##n##, why? If it holds for 0, then since ##P(n)## implies ##P(n+1)## (putting n=0), we have that P(1), and next we get P(2) (putting n=1), ...etc

I hope you get the point.

MostlyHarmless said:
when I've tried it in a research setting, it's because I have so little control of the objects in working with.

What area of research are you trying to apply induction?

micromass said:
Induction IS a constructive proof method.

Now, I used to have issues with induction too. It seems intuitively obvious that it holds, but I was never pleased with the lack of rigorous proof of why induction works. Now, that proof actually is available. It turns out that suitable definitions of the natural numbers will make induction a very easy result. (Other approach like the Peano axioms will make it an axiom). I suggest you take a look at set theory and how they define the natural numbers there. Induction will become very obvious. Another thing you can do is to axiomatically define the real numbers as a complete ordered field. Then you can construct the natural numbers as a certain subset of the reals. The construction will make it obvious why induction holds.

I suppose I'm mistakingly using constructive and direct proof interchangeably. I've seen some set theory in a basic introductory proofs class, and then in my 2 undergrad Real Analysis classes, but I don't recall any novel construction of the Naturals. Do you have any suggestions as to where I might look?

Anama Skout said:
Suppose there's a chain of people

Person #0 - Person #1 - Person #2 - Person #3 - Person #4 - ...etc

Now, whenever person #n hears a secret, then he tells that secret to person #n+1. And if we know that person #0 heard a secret, then eventually all these persons would have heard that secret. This is basically induction, if ##P(n)## implies ##P(n+1)## and ##P(0)## then ##P## holds for all ##n##, why? If it holds for 0, then since ##P(n)## implies ##P(n+1)## (putting n=0), we have that P(1), and next we get P(2) (putting n=1), ...etc

I hope you get the point.

Like I said, I fully understand how to conduct a proof by induction. My point is that, not all inductive proofs are this cut and dry. Like Micromass said, intuitively it makes why induction should work, but intuition ≠ rigor.

gleem said:
What area of research are you trying to apply induction?

A fairly specific topic in an area of Mathematics called Factorization Theory. It was an undergraduate research ("experience") program.

If you recall the argument that "All horses are the same color" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_horses_are_the_same_color). The problem (as I understand it) is that the base case is not strong enough. So then, how do you know when you've started "high enough on the stair case". Or rather that there is even a suitable base case.

MostlyHarmless said:
Do you have any suggestions as to where I might look?
Look at the Peano axioms. If you want a detailed reference on the construction of the naturals (as well as the rationals, reals..) check the celebrated Foundations of Analysis by E. Landau.
MostlyHarmless said:
Like I said, I fully understand how to conduct a proof by induction.
I didn't explain how a proof by induction should be conducted, rather I explained why they are true
MostlyHarmless said:
My point is that, not all inductive proofs are this cut and dry. Like Micromass said, intuitively it makes why induction should work, but intuition ≠ rigor.
I provided an intuitive view as well as a rigorous one, namely if you show that ##P(n)\implies P(n+1)## and you have P(0) then $$\begin{array}{ccc}\Big\{P(0)\wedge \big[P(0)\implies P(1)\big]\Big\}&\implies& P(1)\\\Big\{P(1)\wedge \big[P(1)\implies P(2)\big]\Big\}&\implies& P(2)\\\Big\{P(2)\wedge\big[P(2)\implies P(3)\big]\Big\}&\implies& P(3)\\\vdots&&\vdots\\\Big\{P(n)\wedge\big[P(1) P(n)\implies P(n+1)\big]\Big\}&\implies& P(n+1)\\\vdots&&\vdots\end{array}$$ $$\Huge\qquad\qquad\Downarrow\boxed{\color{white}{\boxed{\Huge\color{black}{\text{Till }\longrightarrow \infty}}}}\Downarrow$$

MostlyHarmless said:
I understand how to construct a proof by induction. I've used it many times, for homework because it was clearly what the book wanted, but when I've tried it in a research setting, it's because I have so little control of the objects in working with. So it has become my impression that since induction is non constructive, when you are able to use it, it's a way of saying: "I don't know why it happens, but it always does."

It seems to me like induction is just really convincing. Of course, I'm wrong, I'm just trying to think about why I'm wrong.

I understand what you mean.

Mathematical induction is not the same as induction in the informal sense. A proof by mathematical induction ultimately reduces to mathematical axioms just as any other good rigorous proof. It is constructive in the sense that it’s a perfectly rigorous technique. But my complaint about mathematical induction is that sometimes it establishes the truth of a theorem without giving much intuition for why the theorem holds or how one might extend it.

I you sure you are not confusing "proof by induction" with "inductive reasoning"? That is essentially what h6ss is talking about. The first is a very specific mathematics method of proof, the second a generic scientific way of reasoning (NOT "proving).

Speaking of rigorous, should we distinguish induction in first-order logic from induction in higher-order logic? Isn't the induction in first-order logic much more rigorous than induction in higher-order logic?

Last edited:

Related to Is Induction More Rigorous in First-Order Logic Than Higher-Order Logic?

1. Why is induction considered a rigorous method in science?

Induction is considered rigorous in science because it follows a logical and systematic approach to testing hypotheses and drawing conclusions. It involves making observations, gathering data, and using that data to form a general principle or theory. This process is repeated and refined, making it a reliable way to gain knowledge and understanding of the natural world.

2. How does induction differ from deduction?

Induction and deduction are two different methods of reasoning. Induction involves using specific observations to make a general conclusion, while deduction uses a general principle to make a specific conclusion. Induction is used in science to develop theories, while deduction is used to test those theories.

3. Can induction be used to prove a hypothesis?

No, induction cannot be used to prove a hypothesis. Instead, it can provide strong evidence in support of a hypothesis. Induction is based on probability, not certainty, so a hypothesis can never be proven beyond a doubt. However, the more evidence that supports a hypothesis, the more likely it is to be true.

4. What is the role of falsifiability in induction?

Falsifiability is a key aspect of induction. It means that a hypothesis or theory must be capable of being tested and potentially proven false. This is important because it allows for the possibility of new evidence or data that may contradict the hypothesis, leading to further refinement or rejection of the theory.

5. Are there any limitations to using induction in science?

While induction is a rigorous method in science, it does have its limitations. It relies on observations and data, which can sometimes be biased or incomplete. Additionally, induction cannot account for all possible scenarios, so there is always a degree of uncertainty in the conclusions drawn from it. It is important for scientists to acknowledge and address these limitations in their research.