What is the usefulness of formal logic theory?

In summary, the conversation discusses the usefulness of formal logic theory and its application in solving real-world problems. The speakers question the need for a formal language to express logical relations and the practical examples of using formal logic theory. They also discuss the subjective nature of the term "useful" and how logic helps to distinguish between valid and absurd theories. The conversation ends with the understanding that there is no final answer to the usefulness of logic and it is an ongoing philosophical topic.
Speakpigeon
What exactly is the usefulness of formal logic theory?

And how much useful is it?

I believe that most of us have an intuitive sense of logic, which has to be very useful throughout our lives and just about for every situation we can think of. Given that, I came to wonder what more does formal logic specifically brings to the table?
Obviously, having a formal language to express the more complicated logical relations is very useful, even necessary nowadays with the development of technology and science, but beyond instances of using the formalism of formal logic, could anybody give practical examples of using formal logic theory to solve a problem in the real world? Something useful!
And I would exclude from that maths research, not because I think it's hopelessly useless, but because I need to understand how logic theory is useful and I need to understand that here and now. So, using logic theory to help with applied maths would be OK, too. That is, if logic theory is used to sort out a maths problem meant to model some real-world situation, in which case logic theory would be useful to help with useful maths, and that would be obviously useful.
I'm really only interested in First Order Logic, but Second Order examples should also be of interest.
Thanks,
EB

Physics news on Phys.org
Speakpigeon said:
What exactly is the usefulness of formal logic theory?

And how much useful is it?

I believe that most of us have an intuitive sense of logic, which has to be very useful throughout our lives and just about for every situation we can think of. Given that, I came to wonder what more does formal logic specifically brings to the table?
This is as if you asked, why to define a meter. Close, near, far and astronomic far cover all what we need.
And I would exclude from that maths research, not because I think it's hopelessly useless, but because I need to understand how logic theory is useful and I need to understand that here and now. So, using logic theory to help with applied maths would be OK, too. That is, if logic theory is used to sort out a maths problem meant to model some real-world situation, in which case logic theory would be useful to help with useful maths, and that would be obviously useful.
I have severe problems with what you call useful. This is a short sighted and highly subjective term which hasn't any scientific relevance. Take the zero, e.g. Why did people start to count something, which isn't there? That's why I consider the word useful as a biased, purely rhetoric term without any substance, except to start a fruitless dispute. What you call useful logic, is merely one possible logic system. The usefulness of all other, and there are various, is restricted by our current limitation, not by the number of potential alternatives. But even the predicate logic in use appears quite often rather alienated, esp. in interviews of politicians.

So logic is important, because it measures scientific fields and helps to distinguish between valid and absurd theories. Same as the meter is.

This discussion is already philosophy, because it basically asks about the usefulness of science - logic is just a placeholder here. A sujet, which has been discussed before, on PF as well, please make a forums search, and probably will be discussed on many other occasions and places. There is no final answer to this by the setting of the question, and any answer heavily depends on personal scales.

So if you don't have a specific source from a valid scientific publication, in which case you're invited to send me a PM with a reference, this thread is closed. Reason: no defined end of debate.

Likes Evo and Greg Bernhardt

Related to What is the usefulness of formal logic theory?

1. What is formal logic theory?

Formal logic theory is a branch of logic that uses mathematical symbols and rules to analyze and evaluate arguments. It is a systematic approach to reasoning and understanding the structure of valid arguments.

2. How is formal logic theory useful in scientific research?

Formal logic theory is useful in scientific research as it provides a framework for evaluating the validity and soundness of arguments. It allows scientists to identify and avoid fallacies in their reasoning, leading to more accurate and reliable conclusions.

3. Can formal logic theory be applied in everyday life?

Yes, formal logic theory can be applied in everyday life. It helps individuals to think critically and analyze arguments in various situations, such as in debates, decision making, and problem-solving.

4. What are the benefits of studying formal logic theory?

Studying formal logic theory can improve critical thinking skills and enhance the ability to construct and evaluate arguments. It also provides a strong foundation for understanding and applying other forms of logic, such as inductive and modal logic.

5. Is formal logic theory limited to certain fields of study?

No, formal logic theory can be applied in various fields of study, including mathematics, science, philosophy, and computer science. Its principles and methods are applicable to any discipline that involves reasoning and making arguments.