Is homosexuality less moral than heterosexuality outside of marriage?

• Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Outside
In summary: This is from the Merriam-Webster Dictionary: "fornication: the act of having sexual intercourse with someone other than one's spouse."So both heterosexual and homosexual activities are considered to be fornication under this definition.
Loren Booda
Are heterosexuals who fornicate as morally culpable as homosexuals who do?

Physics news on Phys.org
All depends on ones definition of morality i suppose

I realized that unmarried and active straight couples like my girlfriend and I may be the next targets of the intolerant zealots. Remember that you heard it here.

Loren Booda said:
Remember that you heard it here.

And a million other places

morality is subjective, there is no absolutely right or wrong answer...marriage is ultimately a relationship that holds a status in our society as sacred, therefore making it easy for others to pass "judgment". those are the people who need to ask themselves, "do i have any right to judge another?"

Loren Booda said:
I realized that unmarried and active straight couples like my girlfriend and I may be the next targets of the intolerant zealots. Remember that you heard it here.

May be we should get rid of all the zealots, heard them all together on an island, surly then that island could be called hell.

Loren Booda said:
Are heterosexuals who fornicate as morally culpable as homosexuals who do?
Eeh, whatever legitimate sources of morality have ever said that sex outside marriage (i.e, fornication) is wrong?

This isn't much of a philosophical question without at least some rudimentary arguments being thrown back and forth. Why exactly do you believe moral zealots look down upon fornication outside of marriage? What types of marriage qualify? What are their presuppositions? How can they be attacked and undermined, rather than dismissed intuitively?

1. Moral zealots would look down upon fornication because of practical considerations - a greater chance of unwanted pregnancies, STDs and a perceived breakdown of societal structure - in theological clothes.

2. & 3. Marriage and its presuppositions, as defined by zealots, would conform to the "Defense of Marriage Act." See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defense_of_Marriage_Act"

4. These would be attacked and undermined by the history of "abnormal" relationships practiced by the majority of society, and by marriage being primarily a religious and moral contract (violated by a majority under such), vs a biological and pleasurable imperative.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the answer to the OP depends on the definition of fornification. Are we talking about procreation or just individual sexual pleasure ? If the first, then only heterosexual fornification can be moral, if the second, then both heterosexual and homosexual activities would be equally moral.

Fornication has the precise definition of sex outside of marriage.

Related to Is homosexuality less moral than heterosexuality outside of marriage?

1. Is there any scientific evidence to support the claim that homosexuality is less moral than heterosexuality outside of marriage?

There is no scientific evidence to suggest that homosexuality is inherently less moral than heterosexuality outside of marriage. Numerous studies have shown that sexual orientation does not determine an individual's moral character or behavior.

2. Are there any negative consequences for individuals who engage in homosexual relationships outside of marriage?

There is no evidence to suggest that individuals who engage in homosexual relationships outside of marriage experience any negative consequences solely based on their sexual orientation. Any negative consequences that may arise are more likely due to societal discrimination and stigma against the LGBTQ+ community.

3. Does the legality of same-sex marriage impact the morality of homosexual relationships outside of marriage?

No, the legality of same-sex marriage does not impact the morality of homosexual relationships outside of marriage. Morality is a subjective concept and is not determined by laws or societal norms.

4. Is it more moral for individuals to engage in heterosexual relationships outside of marriage compared to homosexual relationships?

There is no objective measure of morality, so it is not possible to determine if one type of relationship is inherently more moral than another. The moral value of a relationship should be based on the love, respect, and consent between the individuals involved, rather than their sexual orientation.

5. Are there any religious beliefs that support the idea that homosexuality is less moral than heterosexuality outside of marriage?

While some religious beliefs may view homosexuality as immoral, there are also many religious beliefs that promote love, acceptance, and equality for all individuals, regardless of their sexual orientation. It is important to respect and value all religious beliefs while also recognizing that they do not dictate the inherent morality of individuals or relationships.