Is Higgs field present everywhere?

In summary: Thank you for correcting me!In summary, the Higgs field is thought to be present everywhere in the universe, including by your side. However, it does not predict that individuals will gain mass, but rather that certain particles have mass. Without the Higgs field, electrons would be massless and life as we know it would not be possible. Additionally, the use of AIB tags should be limited to discussions at a graduate student level.
Dr. Manoj
I've doubt. I read on Wikipedia that, higgs field is thought to be present everywhere in universe. Is it even present by my side? If yes why am I not gaining mass. Please clear my doubts!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. Like all fields, the Higgs field is everywhere.

The Higgs field does not predict that you should gain mass. It predicts that a certain set of elementary particles have mass. If there was no Higgs field, electrons would be massless and you could not exist.

Note: Do not abuse the AIB tags. This is clearly not an A-level thread. A-level means you have a graduate student level understanding and want answers tailored to that level. I have changed the tag to B.

Likes mfb
Orodruin's answer is good. To add, the very definition of a field is something that has a value (and zero is a possible value) everywhere in space and time. So it doesn't really make sense to talk about where a field is.

PS Do you have a doctorate? If you don't, why do you call yourself doctor?

Vanadium 50 said:
Orodruin's answer is good. To add, the very definition of a field is something that has a value (and zero is a possible value) everywhere in space and time. So it doesn't really make sense to talk about where a field is.

PS Do you have a doctorate? If you don't, why do you call yourself doctor?
My brother named it. Not me!

Orodruin said:
Yes. Like all fields, the Higgs field is everywhere.

The Higgs field does not predict that you should gain mass. It predicts that a certain set of elementary particles have mass. If there was no Higgs field, electrons would be massless and you could not exist.

Note: Do not abuse the AIB tags. This is clearly not an A-level thread. A-level means you have a graduate student level understanding and want answers tailored to that level. I have changed the tag to B.
Oh sorry I did not know about tags

Related to Is Higgs field present everywhere?

1. What is the Higgs field?

The Higgs field is an invisible energy field that is thought to permeate all of space. It is responsible for giving particles their mass.

2. How was the Higgs field discovered?

The Higgs field was discovered in 2012 by scientists working at the Large Hadron Collider. They detected the Higgs boson, a particle that is associated with the Higgs field.

3. Is the Higgs field present everywhere?

Yes, the Higgs field is believed to be present everywhere in the universe. It is thought to be a fundamental aspect of our universe.

4. Can we see or measure the Higgs field?

No, the Higgs field is invisible and cannot be directly measured. However, its effects can be observed through experiments and calculations in particle physics.

5. What is the significance of the Higgs field?

The Higgs field is significant because it is responsible for giving particles their mass, which is a crucial aspect of our understanding of the universe and the fundamental forces that govern it.