Is Hestenes massless electron beyond standard model?

In summary, The conversation discussed a paper by Hestenes that proposes a massless electron rotating at the speed of light about a fixed point. The paper includes equations and a figure to illustrate the concept. The conversation also touched on whether this idea is part of the standard model or beyond, and what the Lagrangian of this "zitter" model would be. The participants mentioned finding answers in another paper that discusses reconciling this model with quantum mechanics and how Hestenes was influenced by Feynman's teachings. They also shared a resource for further reading on the topic.
naima
Gold Member
Hi all

I just read Hestenes paper
He has a massless electron which rotates about a fixed point at the speed of light . (look at eqns 8 9 10 and fig 1)
I wonder if this is in the standard model or beyond?
What is the lagragian of this "zitter" model?

Physics news on Phys.org
Merry Christmas,

I think I found part of the answer to my question in
http://geocalc.clas.asu.edu/pdf/SnarkPaper.pp.pdf

Look at "Reconciling ZPM with quantum mechanics" (chapter 7)
He has to change Schrodinger equation.
Hestenes followed the teaching of Feynman
You can read http://www.ejmste.com/v8n2/EURASIA_v8n2_Tasar.pdf

Related to Is Hestenes massless electron beyond standard model?

1. What is the Hestenes massless electron?

The Hestenes massless electron is a theoretical particle proposed by David Hestenes, a physicist and mathematician, as a possible solution to the problems with the standard model of particle physics. It is a massless, spin-1/2 particle that is the fundamental building block of matter.

2. How does the Hestenes massless electron differ from the electron in the standard model?

The Hestenes massless electron differs from the electron in the standard model in several ways. First, it is massless, meaning it has no rest mass and can travel at the speed of light. Second, it has a spin of 1/2, whereas the electron in the standard model has a spin of 1/2. Finally, the Hestenes massless electron is a point particle, while the electron in the standard model is thought to have a finite size.

3. What evidence is there for the Hestenes massless electron?

Currently, there is no direct evidence for the existence of the Hestenes massless electron. It is a purely theoretical concept and has not been observed in experiments. However, some physicists believe that it could potentially solve some of the problems with the standard model, such as the hierarchy problem and the lack of a unifying theory for all fundamental forces.

4. How does the Hestenes massless electron fit into the standard model of particle physics?

The Hestenes massless electron is not currently incorporated into the standard model of particle physics. It is considered to be a potential extension or modification of the standard model, as it attempts to address some of the unanswered questions and limitations of the current model.

5. Are there any experiments planned to test the existence of the Hestenes massless electron?

Currently, there are no specific experiments planned to test the existence of the Hestenes massless electron. As it is a theoretical concept, it is difficult to design experiments to directly observe it. However, ongoing research in particle physics and theoretical physics may lead to new insights and potential experiments in the future.