Question regarding 'beauty' in the theories that go beyond the standard model

In summary, the conversation discusses the value of beauty in theoretical physics and how it has played a role in discoveries such as anti-particles and the Higgs. The possibility of finding beauty in future discoveries that may explain the standard model and go beyond is also mentioned. The idea of "ugly" discoveries and the concept of a potentially beautiful explanation for phenomena like spooky action at a distance are also discussed. The conversation ends with a clarification that we experience four dimensions, not just three.
DarkMattrHole
TL;DR Summary
is there value in looking for beauty? Is there beauty in the standard model, other theories?
There has been a lot of talk about the value of beauty in theoretical physics. There seems to be a lot of little things that are beautiful because they make sense, according to what we already know, like the discovery of anti-particles, and recently the Higgs. The standard model was revealed partly by looking for esthetically pleasing things like symmetries and finding them along the way.

Should we continue looking for points of beauty to find the things that would possibly explain the structure of standard model and go beyond?

Have there ever been ugly discoveries, or discoveries that reveal a more ugly universe?

There have been a lot of humbling discoveries. There have been spooky discoveries, but even spooky action at a distance could be made beautiful if it was explained, even by a theory that keeps all the particles in the universe bounded tightly together and in near instant communion within some collapsed dimensions, while allowing them infinite range within the three dimensions we experience. (correct me if I'm wrong but this is how i understand string theory works) thanks all.

Physics news on Phys.org
DarkMattrHole said:
... within the three dimensions we experience
Just as an aside, we do NOT experience three dimensions, we experience four.

Thanks, phinds. I will try to be more precise.