Is Helmholtz equation a Poisson Equation?

In summary, the Helmholtz equation and Poisson's equation are both second order PDEs, but the latter is more general as the function f can be any value, while in the Helmholtz equation, f is equal to -ku. The separation of variables method can be used to solve certain types of the Helmholtz equation. While they have similarities, one is not a subset or form of the other.
yungman
Helmholtz equation:##\nabla^2 u=-ku## is the same form of ##\nabla^2 u=f##.

So is helmholtz equation a form of Poisson Equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
They're both second order PDEs, but the Poisson f is a more general function, not necessarily related to the unknown function u. If the function f is 0, then the Poisson equation reduces to the Laplace equation.

In the solution of certain types of the Helmholtz equation, the separation of variables can be utilized.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helmholtz_equation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poisson's_equation

The generality of 'f' in Poisson's equation makes it trickier to solve than Laplace.

Thanks for the reply, I understand the difference between the two. But Helmholtz is also in form of Poisson, only when ##f=-ku##. So, can I say Helmholtz is a subset or one form of Poission Equation?

Thanks

Last edited:
yungman said:
Thanks for the reply, I understand the difference between the two. But Helmholtz is also in form of Poisson, only when ##f=-k\nabla^2 u##. So, can I say Helmholtz is a subset or one form of Poission Equation?

Thanks

I think you mean when f = -ku

FWIW, sure, go ahead.

SteamKing said:
I think you mean when f = -ku

FWIW, sure, go ahead.

Yes, my bad. What is FWIW?

Thanks

FWIW = For What It's Worth

Likes 1 person
Leaving the chat speak aside, generally speaking the only connection between Poisson's equation and Helmholtz equation is that they are both elliptic 2nd order linear PDEs. One is not a particular case of the other, as posts 2 and especially 3,4 above insinuate.

Thanks everyone.

Related to Is Helmholtz equation a Poisson Equation?

1. What is the Helmholtz equation?

The Helmholtz equation is a partial differential equation that describes the behavior of wave-like phenomena in a variety of scientific fields, including physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is named after German physicist Hermann von Helmholtz, who first derived it in the 19th century.

2. Is the Helmholtz equation a Poisson equation?

Yes, the Helmholtz equation is a type of Poisson equation, which is a mathematical equation that relates the second derivative of a function to its own value. The Helmholtz equation is a specific form of the Poisson equation that includes a second derivative with respect to time and a constant term.

3. What is the difference between the Helmholtz equation and the Poisson equation?

While the Helmholtz equation is a type of Poisson equation, there are some key differences between the two. The Helmholtz equation includes a second derivative with respect to time, while the Poisson equation does not. Additionally, the Helmholtz equation is often used to describe wave-like phenomena, while the Poisson equation is commonly used in electrostatics and fluid mechanics.

4. Why is the Helmholtz equation important in science?

The Helmholtz equation is important in science because it provides a mathematical framework for understanding and studying wave-like phenomena. This allows scientists to make predictions about the behavior of waves in various systems, which has applications in fields such as acoustics, optics, and electromagnetics.

5. How is the Helmholtz equation used in practical applications?

The Helmholtz equation is used in a wide range of practical applications, such as designing antennas, analyzing the acoustics of a room, and studying the propagation of light in optical fibers. It is also used in medical imaging techniques such as ultrasound and MRI, as well as in geophysics for studying seismic waves.