Is Heat Capacity the Same for All Materials?

In summary, the conversation discusses the heat capacity of solids at high temperatures and the applicability of Dulong and Petit's law. It is mentioned that the heat capacity at constant volume for most solids at high temperatures is 3R, where R is the gas constant. However, this does not apply to all materials, as long organic molecules can have a much larger heat capacity. The conversation also touches on the limitations of classical physics and the importance of specifying when using 3R as an approximation.
thentangler
Hi there,
I have a quick question. According to duLong and petit's law, the heat capacity at constant volume for most solids at high temperatures is 3R. (I.e) Cv=3R.
Where R is the gas constant. Does this mean that the heat capacity is the same for all materials?
I thought each material at a unique heat capacity. Can somebody explain?
Thank You

Science news on Phys.org
Hello thentangler,
For solids in high enough temperatures above the Debye temperature, the heat capacaity is 3R per mole.

Check the table of temperatures here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debye_model#Debye_versus_Einstein

For long organic molecules, the heat capacity can be much larger than 3R per mole, because they have many active degrees of freedom.

Note: it is specific heat capacity per mole that is (almost) identical.

So suppose I encounter a material that is a classical solid, would it be safe to substitute 3R for its specific heat when I am calculating its Q per mole?

Define "safe". Dulong–Petit law is an approximation. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. If you can't find specific heat capacity and you use 3R you should always spell it out, as it is possible you are way off.

Aahh, thank you Borek. The limitations of classical physics I suppose. :)

Related to Is Heat Capacity the Same for All Materials?

1. What is specific heat?

Specific heat refers to the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of one gram of a substance by one degree Celsius.

2. How is specific heat measured?

Specific heat is typically measured using a calorimeter, which is a device that measures the heat exchange between a substance and its surrounding environment.

3. What is Petit's law?

Petit's law, also known as the Law of Dulong and Petit, states that the specific heat of a solid is inversely proportional to its atomic weight.

4. How is Petit's law used in scientific research?

Petit's law is often used in scientific research to determine the atomic weight or molar mass of a substance by measuring its specific heat.

5. What are some real-world applications of specific heat and Petit's law?

Specific heat and Petit's law have many practical applications, including in the design of thermal insulation materials, the development of new materials for use in electronics and construction, and in the study of thermodynamics and heat transfer in various industries.