Is gravity a by-product instead of a force of nature itself?

In summary, the conversation discusses the subject of gravity and its connection to space-time and electromagnetism. The individual asking the questions has a general interest in physics but lacks formal education. They question whether gravity is a by-product of electromagnetism and wonder about its effects on space-time and particles. The response explains that General Relativity is the most accurate theory for gravity, as it explains how mass and energy can alter the geometry of space-time. Attempts to explain gravity through the electromagnetic force have not been as successful.
MistrX
Hi there!

As you might find out from the question I have regarding the subject of gravity, I didn't have formal education into specialized science subjects. Just a bit of high-school knowledge may apply. I do have a general interest in Physics and it gets me thinking every time. Normally I will find an answer myself but this time the problem I asked myself is a bit to hard to handle and hope you guys can help me with it and please correct me where I go wrong with my assertions. :smile:

As far as I know with my level of understanding: Higher volumetric mass density of a substance, means that it exerts more force in space-time. The force in question we call gravity. But isn't it possible that it's actually a by-product of electromagnetism? A planet for example, has a more or less net. electric charge of zero, but what if electromagnetism is the one having an effect on space-time at the particle level, which in turn affects objects like stars and planets?

Gravity by property looks like a magnet with one pole (I must be careful here but: some sort of monopole?): It only attracts mass (that would mean inversely proportional, one would assume an exotic form of matter with negative mass to exist (dark matter?)). But assumptions aside, if Gravity interacts with mass only, why does it bend space-time by itself in such a way it can bend a massless photon for example into a black hole with no chance to escape?

So I miss the connection between gravity and space-time.
I can see a connection with electromagnetism because it can exert a force on the particle scale. Particles that make out the volumetric mass density of an substance which affect space-time.
Whereas gravity works on the 'macro-cosmos' so to speak but fails on the micro-cosmos, Electromagnetism seems to work on both.

Where did I go wrong in my own thought experiment? The errors are probably all over the place but I feel like I'm missing a couple of connections that I can't seem to figure out. :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Many of your questions can be answered by looking into special and general relativity. These theories explain how spacetime works and where gravity comes from. Put simply, General Relativity is our most accurate gravitational theory and it models gravity as being the result of dynamic geometry. That is, mass and energy both alter the geometric properties of spacetime in certain ways that have the end result of making gravity appear to be a "force". Gravitational theories based on the EM force have been looked into over the years but none have ever been able to explain gravity as well as General Relativity.

1. What is the current scientific understanding of gravity?

The current scientific understanding of gravity is that it is a fundamental force of nature that describes the attraction between objects with mass. This force is described by Einstein's theory of general relativity, which states that gravity is a result of the curvature of space and time caused by massive objects.

2. Is there evidence to suggest that gravity is a by-product instead of a force of nature itself?

There is currently no evidence to support the idea that gravity is a by-product instead of a fundamental force of nature. The theories and equations developed by scientists, such as Newton's law of universal gravitation and Einstein's theory of general relativity, have been extensively tested and have consistently shown that gravity is a force that exists and affects the behavior of objects in our universe.

3. How do scientists study and measure gravity?

Scientists study and measure gravity through various methods, including observing the motion of objects in space, measuring the effects of gravity on light and other waves, and conducting experiments in laboratory settings. They also use advanced technologies, such as satellites and gravitational wave detectors, to gather data and make precise measurements of the force of gravity.

4. Are there any alternative theories to explain gravity?

There have been numerous alternative theories proposed to explain gravity, such as the theory of modified Newtonian dynamics (MOND) and the theory of loop quantum gravity. However, these theories have not been widely accepted by the scientific community due to a lack of evidence and inconsistencies with existing observations and equations.

5. Could our understanding of gravity change in the future?

As with any scientific theory, our understanding of gravity is constantly evolving as new research and evidence become available. While the current understanding of gravity as a fundamental force is widely accepted, it is possible that future discoveries could lead to a refinement or even a complete overhaul of our understanding of this force. Therefore, it is important for scientists to continue studying and questioning the nature of gravity in order to advance our understanding of the universe.