Is Gravitational Force conserved at the origin (r=0)?

In summary, the conversation discusses the conservative nature of gravitational force fields and how they are not defined at the singularity point r=0. It is suggested that when dealing with real planets, the singularity is not a concern as we only consider the space outside the planet's surface. However, for ideal point masses, only paths that pass arbitrarily close to the singularity can be evaluated. This leads to a discussion about the predictability of trajectories after passing the singularity and the potential impact of a point mass passing through it. It is also noted that when considering classical orbits and the singularity, there may be additional complications.
chi_rho
I know gravity is a conservative force field and can be treated as such for all intents and purposes, but I was just thinking that in order to show that a vector field is conservative that vector field must be defined everywhere (gravitational force field is not defined at r=0).

I was thinking that you may need to examine a curve that encloses the singularity (r=0) like the unit circle, but I'm not sure this is the best way to think about this problem.

Any additional insight into how to treat/explain the conservative/non-conservative nature of the gravitational force field at the origin would be appreciate.

Physics news on Phys.org
chi_rho said:
gravitational force field is not defined at r=0
Why not?

chi_rho said:
I was thinking that you may need to examine a curve that encloses the singularity (r=0) like the unit circle, but I'm not sure this is the best way to think about this problem.

We're talking about the gravitational field of an ideal point mass here, right? If we're dealing with a real planet or other spherically symmetric mass with non-zero size, there won't be a singularity at r=0 and there won't be any problem.

But with that said, yes, you have the right idea. If there is a singularity at a given point, you can't evaluate a line integral that passes through that point and you must consider only paths that pass arbitrarily close to it. In practice, this is a seldom a concern because we never encounter gravitating point masses in real life; when we model a real planet as a point mass, we're only working with the space outside the surface of the planet so we don't have trajectories that pass through r=0.

Nugatory said:
If there is a singularity at a given point, you can't evaluate a line integral that passes through that point and you must consider only paths that pass arbitrarily close to it.

What does this mean for a radial elliptic trajectory, e.g. for two point masses? Is their position still predictable after they passed the singularity? That shouldn't be possible if the integral can't be evaluated through that point.

DrStupid said:
What does this mean for a radial elliptic trajectory, e.g. for two point masses? Is their position still predictable after they passed the singularity? That shouldn't be possible if the integral can't be evaluated through that point.
Would a mass, point or otherwise, pass through the singularity? No impact?

tfr000 said:
Would a mass, point or otherwise, pass through the singularity? No impact?
If you want to take it that far, you are into GR - no?

Even worse - a point mass will be a black hole.

DrStupid said:

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you're asking here. The elliptical orbit of two non-trivial masses approximated as point particles doesn't pass through either singularity, so the problem doesn't arise.

tfr000 said:
Would a mass, point or otherwise, pass through the singularity?

I don't know if they pass through the singularity. In the limit of zero angular momentum a classical orbit would result in a degenerate ellipse with a 180° turn in the center. In this case the point masses would bounce off the center. But I do not think it is that easy. The singularity changes the situation.

tfr000 said:
No impact?

That would result in additional complications. Thus we should limit the interaction to gravity only.

Related to Is Gravitational Force conserved at the origin (r=0)?

1. What is the definition of gravitational force?

Gravitational force is the attractive force between two objects with mass. It is responsible for the motion of planets, stars, and other celestial bodies in the universe.

2. Is gravitational force conserved at all points?

No, gravitational force is not conserved at all points. The strength of gravitational force decreases as the distance between two objects increases, and it becomes zero at an infinite distance.

3. Why is the conservation of gravitational force at the origin important?

The conservation of gravitational force at the origin is important because it helps us understand the behavior of objects with mass at the center of a gravitational field. It also helps us predict the motion of objects in orbit around a central mass.

4. How is gravitational force conserved at the origin?

At the origin (r=0), the gravitational force is conserved because the distance between the two objects is zero, and therefore the force is at its maximum strength. This can be explained by Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation, which states that the force between two objects is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

5. Are there any exceptions to the conservation of gravitational force at the origin?

Yes, there are some exceptions to the conservation of gravitational force at the origin. For example, in the case of a black hole, the force of gravity becomes infinitely strong, and the concept of distance and conservation of force no longer apply. Additionally, at the quantum level, the laws of gravity break down, and other fundamental forces come into play.